When liberals abandon science and embrace organic quinoa

Conservatives in our era have a lunatic relationship to empirical reality. The miserably pathetic struggle of the right wing of the GOP to shut out the offensive noises emitted by scientists has become one of the central themes of our time. But they are not alone.

I wish I could reproduce this Daily Beast post by Michael Schulson in its entirety. Better yet, I wish I’d written it:

You don’t have to schlep all the way to [the Creation Museum in] Kentucky in order to visit America’s greatest shrine to pseudoscience. In fact, that shrine is a 15-minute trip away from most American urbanites.

I’m talking, of course, about Whole Foods Market. From the probiotics aisle to the vaguely ridiculous Organic Integrity outreach effort (more on that later), Whole Foods has all the ingredients necessary to give Richard Dawkins nightmares. And if you want a sense of how weird, and how fraught, the relationship between science, politics, and commerce is in our modern world, then there’s really no better place to go. Because anti-science isn’t just a religious, conservative phenomenon—and the way in which it crosses cultural lines can tell us a lot about why places like the Creation Museum inspire so much rage, while places like Whole Foods don’t.

If you want to hear a lefty take leave of all their pretensions about a superior scientific understanding of the world, change the subject to food.

If scientific accuracy in the public sphere is your jam, is there really that much of a difference between Creation Museum founder Ken Ham, who seems to have made a career marketing pseudoscience about the origins of the world, and John Mackey, a founder and CEO of Whole Foods Market, who seems to have made a career, in part, out of marketing pseudoscience about health?

Well, no—there isn’t really much difference, if the promulgation of pseudoscience in the public sphere is, strictly speaking, the only issue at play. By the total lack of outrage over Whole Foods’ existence, and by the total saturation of outrage over the Creation Museum, it’s clear that strict scientific accuracy in the public sphere isn’t quite as important to many of us as we might believe. Just ask all those scientists in the aisles of my local Whole Foods.

The article is a gem. In summary, the attempt (it is always just an attempt) to live a life in consistent contact with the best measures of objective reality means near constant discomfort. None of us really like it, otherwise there would be no Disney World. Perhaps we should all be a little more patient with each other. Yes, I remember what I’ve written and I’m mindful of the pieces I’m planning to write as I make that statement. Will be thinking about it.

Tagged with: , ,
87 comments on “When liberals abandon science and embrace organic quinoa
  1. Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding
    It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping tto
    offer one thing again and help others like you aided me.

2. An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who had been doing a little homework on this.
    And he ctually bought me lunch simply becazuse I discovered it for him…
    lol. So leet me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending the time to talk about this subject here on your blog.

3. You happen to be really a excellent web marketer. The web page running quickness can be wonderful. It seems that your are performing almost any distinctive tip. Also, This material are masterwork. you have done an awesome course of action with this subject!

4. Tuttabella says:

Since we went off on a “concerted” tangent . . . Did anyone here ever see the Allmans in concert, with Duane Allman? If so, you have my undying respect and admiration. PLEASE describe your experience.

5. dowripple says:

Thanks Chris, I didn’t know about the GMO stuff. What other food-related issues are liberals ignoring the science on?

We never go to Whole foods, but that has more to do with budget than anything else. I’m terrified of the prospect of eating catfood when we’re retired. 🙂

6. Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

My mom cooked almost every evening, except for Wednesday night which was league bowling night.

Just a little brag about my wonderful, long ago ago deceased mom: She cooked almost every day after working on her feet for 8 hour rotating shifts as a machine operator in a Johnson & Johnson plant. The “super moms” of the 70s and 80s were working blue collar jobs and raising families, but they didn’t look as cool as the lawyer and executive super moms you saw on TV.

We generally had meat and potatoes every day (at least one of which was probably fried). During the summers we had lots of fresh fruits and veggies, but I ate a bunch of kraft mac & cheese and spaghetti that came in box with a seasoning pouch you mixed with tomato sauce. She did cook with a lot of “natural” ingredients like lard and the ever present jar of fat sitting on the stove (dad had a heart attack at 48).

Now that I have kids, it is hard to figure out what to feed them. All of the easy stuff is full of sodium and sugar. That makes it tasty and probably ruins budding taste buds for normal food without that much salt and sugar. Fortunately, they really like bananas and strawberries and generally will eat eggs, and we try to avoid the overly processed convenience foods. They do love Pink’s pizza though.

With the kids, I’m tempted to get organic this and that, but I’m also smart enough to know that there is no good study that is going to show that the slightly more expensive organic gerber sweet potatoes is any better over the long haul than the normal gerber sweet potatoes, neither of which probably is as good as me growing my own sweet potatoes.

Still, the temptation is there because, “even if there is only the smallest chance that the organic quinoa will be better for my kids, I’m going to do it” mindset so easily takes over if you have the resources available to let it take over.

For me, however, the organic peanut butter tastes like crap and there is nothing like the first scoop of of a freshly opened jar of Peter Pan highly preserved peanut butter when all of the nuts are sitting right there at the top (with welch’s concord grape jelly and of course on whole wheat bread because I’m “healthy”)

• texan5142 says:

Yep!

• GG says:

Yes, it’s imperative to use grape jelly. Nothing else is quite the same. I liked mine with a glass of milk and potato chips. The salty and sweet….so good.

• Tuttabella says:

I have never in my life had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I cannot conceive of those 2 ingredients together. Peanut butter is for eating with a spoon straight out of the jar, or on crackers or by itself in a sandwich. Jelly is for breakfast, with butter, on toast and biscuits. But as many here so often like to remind me, that is just my OPINION.

• Houston-Stay-at-Homer says:

Tutt…I think I like you a little less now.

Actually, my wife eats peanut butter sandwiches without jelly. It is like she is from a different planet, but it has rubbed off on the boys. They don’t like jelly either.

• GG says:

It’s delicious Tutt.

• Tuttabella says:

And Cap hates peanut butter but loves plain jelly sandwiches !

• Tuttabella says:

HT and GG, your grape-colored avatars remind me of Welch’s Grape Jelly.

Cap’s beige, daytime avatar reminds me of the color of peanut butter.

7. John Galt says:

George Takei (who, if you are not one of the 17 remaining people not following him on Facebook, is very amusing) just posted a timely quote from Carl Sagan: “We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.”

• Tuttabella says:

Dependent in what way? Truly dependent on it for what it can do, or looking to it to provide support for one’s beliefs?

• John Galt says:

I see more evidence that people are ignoring (or misinterpreting) science and technology in favor of their beliefs than the opposite.

Western societies including our own are very technically complex. This complexity goes hand-in-hand with the wealth of our society as the efficiencies free us to spend more time productively.

• Tuttabella says:

On the other hand, too many efficiencies lead some of us to spend time not so productively. We often end up wasting our time, resources, and energy.

• texan5142 says:

Pardon my interruption ,

What might be one mans or woman’s waist of time can not be determined by an outsiders view. You or I might think what other people are doing is a waste of time, but from their point of view, they might not realize it.

• Tuttabella says:

Texan, your interruption is welcome. With regard to wasting time, people may not realize they are doing it, or rather, they may simply not agree they are wasting time. Either way, you are correct. In my case, you will notice l said “we” waste time. Lord knows I’m a prime offender. I’m thrifty with money and resources, but with respect to time, forget it.

• John Galt says:

This blog might be a perfect example of your comment, Tutt.

8. way2gosassy says:

My cousin who is just 3 years older sent me a Maxine cartoon that says..” The older I get the more I need my preservatives.”

I agree with that!

I remember back in the 80’s the Surgeon General came out with a couple of studies that they have gone back and forth on for almost 3 decades. One estimated that eggs had a ridiculous amount of cholesterol ( don’t remember how much) until the chicken farmers went ballistic and spent a ton of money on lobbying and ad buys. It wasn’t long before the SG retracted it’s statement. Then it was bacon and hamburger that were carcinogens, same thing happened.

I do a lot of cooking at home, some fresh and some processed. Mr. Sassy will eat anything that won’t eat him first! That said, That said, I guess you can find nuts who insert themselves into every facet of life, for good or evil they come from every walk of life and ideology.

To each their own!

• GG says:

I’m of the opinion that if it’s natural it’s better than “fake” stuff made chemicals. For instance, use butter, not margarine. Real sugar, not Splenda and everything in moderation though I admit that’s hard sometimes.

• Turtles Run says:

I love that quote I tell my wife that all the time. But NOOOOO, she points to pictures of a Big Mac taken over a course of a month and talks about how little it changes. I point simply point out that is a good thing. Why do I want to shrivel up like an grape in the sun.

• John Galt says:

It’s not exactly a state secret that eggs are high in cholesterol. I think it more likely that the SG made some pronouncement on high cholesterol diets contributing to heart disease or something like that. The SG job is inherently political and is thus subject to political pressure. It can be effective, such as SG Koop’s anti-smoking campaigns, but it can be counterproductive if the science is not reasonably settled.

• objv says:

• way2gosassy says:

“The SG job is inherently political and is thus subject to political pressure. It can be effective, such as SG Koop’s anti-smoking campaigns, but it can be counterproductive if the science is not reasonably settled.”

I totally agree. The biggest problem I have with any SG is that they are so politically motivated. SG Koop could have gone a long way toward ending the debate on Roe v Wade but chose not to for both political and personal reasons.

• bubbabobcat says:

“Eggs are high in cholesterol but it is a myth that dietary cholesterol contributes to high levels of cholesterol in the blood. The liver manufactures more than 80% of blood cholesterol. The effect of eating cholesterol rich foods on cholesterol levels has been proven to be clinically insignificant.”

There is so much that is incorrect in your statement OV. And what is your source for that medical pronouncement?

Quite a few legitimate medical websites disagree.

Although eggs may not be as significant contributor of bloodstream levels of cholesterol as originally thought, it is NOT “insignificant” as you proclaim. You cannot eat as many eggs (yolks) as you want and not worry about elevating harmful cholesterol levels in the blood. If the combination of the cholesterol you ingest and produce is more than the body needs or the liver can eliminate via HDL’s, then the excess will be deposited in your artery walls which leads to heart disease. Although that impact varies from person to person, no one is “immune” to the negative effects of ingesting too much cholesterol. The cholesterol you ingest does not just magically “disappear”.

And your liver does NOT “manufacture more than 80% of blood cholesterol”. Almost every cell in your body can produce cholesterol. The liver alone produces only about 25-30% of the body’s manufactured cholesterol.

“…most evidence suggests that our higher cholesterol levels are largely a product of our high-fat, high-cholesterol diet.”

Note that information is from Harvard. Which you touted so highly when it suited your purpose that Charles Krauthammer graduated from there.

• objv says:

Bubba: My source was “Grain Brain” by David Perlmutter, MD. He is a board certified neurologist and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. I found the information for my post on pages 227-229. The book was published in September 2013. I note that the web-sites you provided had dates of 2005, 2006 and 2009 – or no date at all. Possibly, you are relying on older information and studies.

For another article in defense of the humble egg, please read:

For all it’s worth, I eat eggs almost every day and my cholesterol levels are fine. Lately, I’ve seen more published information (including Perlmutter’s book) saying cholesterol levels may not matter much in the long run when it comes to heart disease – so my great numbers may not matter much after all.

• bubbabobcat says:

OV, Perlmutter may be a “board certified neurologist” but he is apparently also a salesman and a shill selling a book (that you have apparently read and now hold as the gospel).

Do you realize that he advocates a diet of 75% fat and claims that is what the “healthy cavemen ate in the Paleolithic era”? And the root of just about every health problem, including Alzheimer’s is eating a grain based diet? Really?

Here’s an interesting review of his book with some telling commentary:

“You’re only being a good scientist, if you say, ‘I’m going to try to read the literature in as unbiased a manner as I possibly can, see where it leads me, and then offer the advice that I have based on that view from an altitude.’ I don’t see that going on here [in Perlmutter’s book], and again, I think it’s kind of sad because I think the public is being misled.”

“I also find it sad that because his book is filled with a whole bunch of nonsense, that’s why it’s a bestseller; that’s why we’re talking. Because that’s how you get on the bestseller list. You promise the moon and stars, you say everything you heard before was wrong, and you blame everything on one thing.

“There’s either a scapegoat or a silver bullet in almost every bestselling diet book.”

“The recurring formula is apparent: Tell readers it’s not their fault. Blame an agency; typically the pharmaceutical industry or U.S. government, but also possibly the medical establishment. Alluding to the conspiracy vaguely will suffice. Offer a simple solution. Cite science and mainstream research when applicable; demonize it when it is not.”

“I read the book with an eye for the most dangerous claim. What stuck out to me was Perlmutter’s case for cholesterol. He basically says that we can’t have too much.”

“Is there a weight of evidence that says we can totally ignore both dietary cholesterol and LDL? Absolutely not. You can legitimately say we’re starting to rethink some things, but ignoring LDL could absolutely result in heart attacks and strokes. Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion.”

And by the way, the Mayo Clinic link I provided was from 2012 with sourced footnotes from 2011.

And your only provided source link had in big bold type across the title: “Op-Ed”, as in opinion piece.

• way2gosassy says:

OV I absolutely do not mean any disrespect but what this guy says is complete bunkum. Since my poor little liver has been trying to give up the ghost off and on for the last 5 years or so ( by the way I don’t drink) I have had so many tests and studies that I feel like a lab experiment. One of the liver function tests I have every 3 months is for cholesterol. For the most part mine is usually pretty darn good. I, for the most, part eat reasonably well. My Dr. will always tell me when I have been on a potato chip binge even if I haven’t had any a few days before the tests. For two years I worked really closely with a nutritionist to keep my liver working at optimum performance. She proved to me that some foods actually do elevate blood cholesterol as well as some enzymes. So there is that. There is also the fact that some foods elevate in some people and not in others. There doesn’t seem to be a once size fits all answer.

• objv says:

Whoa, Sassy. I think you completely misread my statement. I never said that foods don’t elevate cholesterol levels. They most certainly do. What I said was that dietary cholesterol – such as found in eggs specifically – doesn’t contribute to high blood levels of cholesterol in a clinically significant way.

Take your example of potato chips. They have zero cholesterol yet they will elevate your blood cholesterol levels and cause your liver all kinds of grief because they are fried in oil and are high in saturated fats. For most healthy people, an egg a day – even though it is high in dietary cholesterol – won’t hurt them and will provide many beneficial nutrients.

I’m glad you are working with a nutritionist. I realize that you have very specific dietary needs and I would never challenge what your nutritionist would tell you to do. My husband has a genetic predisposition to heart disease and I follow his cardiologist’s recommendations to the letter. It’s just not worth taking the risk with his health.

In my own case, I have a little more wiggle room as far as diet is concerned and my doctor was encouraging when I discussed what I was eating with him. In fact, he told me that his wife – a registered dietician – had made some of the same changes as far as what they ate at home.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with a bad liver. My heart really does go out to you. I had a friend who had liver disease and I realize that it is not easy living with a chronic condition like that.

9. John Galt says:

Exactly right. People on the far left can be astonishingly scientifically illiterate. They do on organics and vaccines exactly what the RWNJs do on evolution and climate – use feelings and preconceived notions to override any facts or logic. It’s moronic and very hard for me to take them seriously even on issues unrelated to these manufactured controversies.

Years ago I was living in Boston as the organic craze began to gain steam. The Boston Globe interviewed local chefs about their opinions of organic. Some didn’t use them, others swore they only used them. Some said that local was more important than organic (which seems reasonable to me, local is usually fresher). The best response by far was one chef who snorted (paraphrased), “Organic? As best I can tell that means grown in shit by hippies, and I have no idea why that is better.”

Those vaccine deniers are the worst. They are endangering the lives of the children too young to be vaccinated by lowering the “herd immunity”.

• rightonrush says:

When I was in elementary school (50’s) the health dept. would come around and vaccinate us kids at school. I don’t remember having a choice, you got the shot or you didn’t go to school. If you didn’t attend school your parents/guardians would be in a world of hurt from the law. There wasn’t anything such as “home school”, you went to public school until you were at least 16 yrs.

• DanMan says:

yeah, and when you registered for school they got a copy of your birth certificate. Then when you got your driver’s license the state got a copy of it too.

• John Galt says:

I’m not sure quite what you are implying, Dan, but the birth certificate is a state-issued document so, by definition, the state has a copy of it. Perhaps other school districts are different, but an original birth certificate is required for students enrolling in HISD (they make a copy, which they keep).

• DanMan says:

okay JG, you had to present an original or certified copy that THEY would copy…sheesh. They don’t now.

• John Galt says:

Well, I’m still not sure what Dan is implying, but I was remiss in not giving Fly’s comment two thumbs up. There have been several recent cases where children too young to be vaccinated have caught easily preventable infections (like measles and whooping cough) from older children who were not vaccinated because of the earnestly wrong-headed feelings of their parents. I think this is criminal – it’s child abuse. There is a small but growing number of pediatricians who are refusing to accept vaccine-deniers as patients. Good for them.

I got into an argument with a group of these deniers at one point, during which one said that their kids weren’t vaccinated and were completely healthy. I said they were lucky to be protected by herd immunity. One of them, I kid you not, responded that I had no idea what I was talking about because we weren’t talking about livestock. And she truly thought she was an expert on this topic. Pathetic.

10. Crogged says:

There is paltry science about ‘gmo’, artificial sweeteners, sucrose vs glucose, ‘additives’, corn syrup and all the other stuff in food (hate to say it, but everything chemical is natural and organic too) for being ‘bad’ for you. The issue with GMO isn’t our consumption but accidentally releasing a new ‘dominant’ invasive species and that sort of thing. GMO is simply accelerate breeding–Mendel would be impressed.

Well, there is the whole ‘intellectual property’ issues some farmers are having about GMO but most here know my position on long term rent seeking with copyright laws………

11. rightonrush says:

I reckon I was raised on whole foods. Grandpa & Granny had a huge garden and raised all our vegs. Plus we had cattle & chickens and nothing was wasted…their poop was Granny’s favorite fertilizer. We didn’t eat a lot of meat, we did eat lots of potatoes, greens, and beans. I was healthy as a horse, of course I worked like horse too. Who knew that being poor would turn out to be such a blessing in my old age. I should add, I never went hungry nor worried where the next meal was coming from.

12. Texan5142 says:

I try to shop at the local co-op myself, we do not have a Whole Foods in my area, but the co-op is a better alternative. Everything is locally raised and organic. The meat is free range and the label tells you who grew it, same with the eggs, milk, etc.

• GG says:

I am lucky enough to live in a community with a farmer’s market within walking/golf cart distance from my house. Best chicken and eggs I’ve ever eaten. Fresh really does make a difference as well as hormone and antibiotic free. It’s easy for me to go nuts there and before I know it I’ve spent $100 easy.

13. DanMan says:

A pretty good tactic when grocery shopping in a typical store is to stay on the perimeter. It’s where the fresh food is.

And the Cox family that runs the Foodarame chain are pretty good about staying local in their produce. Quite often they label the source of the items.

• texan5142 says:

“Quite often they label the source of the items.”

That is what I like about our co-op, I can read on the egg carton the name and the address of the local farm it came from, same for the meat, they only carry grass fed natural beef, no hormones, etc.

• Turtles Run says:

Are those stores still around?

14. kabuzz61 says:

When I was a kid, most food was prepared at home. The coming of processed foods have overtaken home cooking. Preservatives and colorings and/or flavor enhancers probably have long term effects on the body. Having said that, I am by no means a ‘heath nut’. We do try to prepare our own meals.

As I have said a couple of weeks ago, we started juicing. We love it. We juice totally on Monday’s, Wednesdays and Fridays. We have two sensible meals on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s with one meal of juice. Weekends we play be ear depending on our social calendar.

The reason I bring that up is Whole Foods. There really is only two places to get clean, fresh vegetables and fruits and that is Central Market and Whole Foods. So out of necessity I frequent whole foods. But I understand your point about the religious zealotry of their staff.

15. Tuttabella says:

Whole Foods, and the health food aisles at your run-of-the-mill grocery stores, are helpful for people who want to avoid certain ingredients for religious or ethical reasons, who want kosher and vegan items easily identified. The problem is the semantic games that the industry often plays — so-called “dairy-free” products often contain casein, which is a milk product; eggs from supposedly “free-roaming” chickens may mean that the chickens are let out for just a few minutes before being caged up again.

About 20 years ago I began to frequent places like Whole Foods and A Moveable Feast because of my interest in animal ethics, as I gradually began to cut out meat and animal products from my diet, personal, and household products. I was obsessed with reading ingredient labels, but over time I realized that the best way to go about it is to avoid something altogether, to the extent possible, or even embrace it, rather than accept “substitutes.” No cheese at all is better than than that plastic garbage.

If I can, I will get eggs from chickens belonging to family members who live in the country, and Cap’s parents often give me fruits and vegetables from their garden.

At this stage in my life, the only animal products I eat are seafood, dairy, eggs, and honey. It’s a personal choice, and it’s something I don’t talk about much. When it does come up, people usually don’t make a big deal about it.

I still go to Whole Foods for products I can’t find elsewhere, such as tuna jerky and delicious, ready-to-eat salmon. Places like that still serve a purpose, but as I said, many of these items can be found at Fiesta and Kroger in their health food sections.

• bubbabobcat says:

I admire your strength and will Tutt. I would like to be that way but I enjoy some of the bad stuff too much. I have cut beef and pork from my diet for the most part but I still eat a lot of chicken (with a lot of guilt). And there is no way I am giving up sushi.

My wife makes me spend more to buy “cage free eggs” although I question the accuracy of that label also.

I am relying on modern technologically to be more dietarily “ethical”.

Morningstar black bean burgers aren’t too bad.

• Tuttabella says:

Bubba, for burgers I prefer the garden patties. I also love the Morningstar Farms veggie bacon strips. Even Cap likes the veggie bacon.

I love the veggie burgers they serve at Dennys and the Onion Creek.

Still, part of me feels guilty eating these processed foods.

• GG says:

I don’t have an issue with vegetarians at all, wish I could stick to it, but I love a good steak too much. My problem is with the really out there vegans who don’t get any animal proteins at all and force that diet on their kids too. They all look pale and sickly and are often sick and it borders on an eating disorder. People need some animal protein. They also tend to be a huge pain in the a&& if you are trying to feed one. Listen to one go on about “forcing those bees into making honey is slavery” nonsense and you’ll want to strangle one.

I’ve also gotten into cleaning with natural products. Vinegar and baking soda are great for cleaning around the house. I even dabble in making my own exfoliants and face masks

• Tuttabella says:

GG, I noticed that around the age of 30, I suddenly became unable to tolerate any cleaning products with strong chemical odors without getting nauseous, so I also use things like baking soda to clean. Nothing kills odors like baking soda.

• objv says:

No doubt, much of alternative medicine is pure hokum, but what is getting lost here is that our bodies were not designed to sit in front of a computer all day while munching on an unlimited supply of jelly donuts and Cheetos. Good nutrition matters.

Keeping blood sugar levels stable is vital. It’s well established that a diet high in processed carbs can lead to diabetes in a good proportion of our population. In this, companies such as Whole Foods serve a purpose because they promote healthier eating habits with a focus on vegetables, fruit, and healthier meats. (Stay out of the bakery isle!) I wish there was a Whole Foods where I live.

Many of us are unaware of food sensitivities. I had digestive issues for most of my adult life. First I eliminated dairy products and lately wheat. I felt immeasurably better.

Even though my current diet is higher in fat since fewer calories come from carbohydrates (I eat more vegetables – no baked goods), my last cholesterol levels were excellent, my triglycerides were very low and my A1C was optimal. Clearly, a diet relying on more basic and less processed foods was working for me.

• objv says:

Tuttabella: I eat meat but share your aversion to the way animals and poultry are raised.During the past years, I tried to buy most of my beef from a local farmer’s market and other meat from a farm near where my daughter went to college. The farm was part of an organization that had a mission to teach people in third world countries sustainable farming practices and used the farm as a testing ground for various farming techniques. It hired students as interns and my daughter had a friend who interned there while studying to become a dietician.

It was really wonderful to drive out to the farm and see contented animals. The chickens were running around, the goats were out grazing and even the pigs were quite happy rooting around in their large tree shaded enclosure. I did not mind buying meat or poutry after a slaughter because I knew that the animals had been treated well during their lifetime.

Here in New Mexico, a neighbor and I went in together and bought beef from a ranch that grazes their cattle in a beautiful area between Durango and Silverton, CO. A coworker of my daughter shot two elk during hunting season and had too much to fit in her freezer so she gave us about 30 pounds of nice elk meat. (I made elk jerky in a dehydrator for my husband last night – delicious!) Some of the fish we eat are ones my daughter caught and eggs and fresh farm produce come from a farmer’s market we go to during the summer.

I don’t think I could get used to soy burgers, so hopefully, I will be able to continue to find protein sources from places animals were not mistreated.

16. bubbabobcat says:

Well Chris, at least the Whole Food Whackos aren’t trying to mandate teaching it in public school classrooms and forcing everyone to eat that nasty (but they’re good for you!) crap.

I guess I’m too cheap (or poor?) to be that whacko of a liberal.

At least you can nod condescendingly and quickly move on to ignore the WFW’s like they were your crazy aunt.

• goplifer says:

When they succeed in banning GMO’s their little neurotic fetish will have ceased to be so harmless.

• desperado says:

Put me in the too cheap for Whole Foods category, too. Although I prefer the word thrifty, means the same thing, sounds better. All I know about the organic stuff is that it costs more and doesn’t stay good as long, which means I have to buy it more often, so we’re back to cheap. It’s probably because of the preservatives, but I’ve been eating them for the better part of 58 years so whatever terrible things they’re going to do to me is more than likely already done. I’m of the opinion that life expectancy is about 95% genetic and 5% everything else. If you come from a line of long livers chances are you will be one. If you come from a line of people who drop dead from a heart attack at 50, hate to break it to you but………

• bubbabobcat says:

Hey Des, thanks for cleaning up (and validating) my cheap proclivities. 😉

And just for you:

I was there (my wife paid the exorbitant StubHub scam prices, not me).

Great, great, great concert. Even without Randy Meisner. I am now a super Joe Walsh fan. Always liked him but found him to be an amazing guitarist who can only really be appreciated live.

And before anyone starts attacking the poor videographer, that is not me. I pulled it off YouTube. I was in the not so cheap, cheap seats in the rafters. And my surreptitious souvenir video was ruined by some twenty something drunk girl (daughter of a real Eagles fan presumably) punctuating my recording every ten seconds or so with her harpy screams because it was “fun” and not necessarily because she enjoyed or appreciated the music or artistry.

• desperado says:

Wow, thanks bubba. I SO wanted to go, until I found out good seats were in the $300 range. Oh well, I’ve still got the Hell Freezes Over tour on DVD.

• desperado says:

Joe Walsh is great. Did they do Life’s Been Good?

• bubbabobcat says:

But of course Des! They ended up the concert with Joe Walsh numbers and his guitar leads. Here is the complete setlist:

I luvs the internets….

• bubbabobcat says:

Apparently the “History of the Eagles” tour is an orchestrated production and the setlist does not change from city to city so they can stay on script.

They start off slow and acoustic and end up rocking with Walsh just wailing away vocally and on his guitars. Definitely memorable.

Wiki sums it up accurately:

• DanMan says:

Hey des, remember a few years ago when Stevie Nicks and Joe Walsh toured together? Dean & Rog promoted it as the “Stop Dragging My Tits Around” tour.

• desperado says:

I don’t remember that. I do remember Stevie Nicks was fiiiiiiiiiine back in the day.

• desperado says:

Stevie Nicks and Linda Ronstadt.

• DanMan says:

My brother always called her Linda “my baby” Ronstadt. Had a poster of her in blue jeans from her days in the Stone Ponies when she was about 16.

• desperado says:

Your brother has excellent taste.

• CaptSternn says:

Not mandating it in schools? There are already some schools that ban lunches brought from home because the school administrators don’t agree with the parents on what thier kids should eat. Just advancing that public indoctrination system, undermining parental authority. Texas is against undermining parental authority, and the left claims that it is really an attack on critical thinking.

• bubbabobcat says:

Cappy, you really DO have a problem with nuance and comprehension don’t you?

Please look up the word “mandate” in Merriam Webster and then please provide proof that any public school is forcing kids to eat only organic or GMO only foods. And prove they are “Libs”.

And you are off topic anyway with your usual regurgitated anti Big (Federal) Gub’ment screed on any topic that Chris blogs about.

Take your damn finger off that rewind button on your brain already and come up with something original for a change.

• desperado says:

It’s a commie plot.

• kabuzz61 says:

In 2008 my wife took me to the Eagles Concert in the Toyota Center for my birthday. Fourth row center. Total cost: $300.00. The day before the concert, the Eagles gave up four of their seats so the house (Toyota Center) sent out an eblast which my wife receives and scooped the tickets up. As the concert went on, I can see how old they have gotten then realized they are looking back at me and seeing how old their fans have gotten.

They did two sets and what I understand is they never divert from them.

Regarding Joe Walsh, I was a fan of his long before the Eagles. When he was with the James Gang, he really rocked. “You can tune a guitar but you can’t tuna fish.”

Three days after the concert, Hurricane Ike.

Best concert ever and I have been to many.

• Tuttabella says:

“Seems to me, you don’t wanna talk about it. Seems to me, you just turn your pretty head and walk away.” I love those lyrics.

• Tuttabella says:

I’ve been going to concerts all my life. Everything from Mexican (Vicente Fernandez, Juan Gabriel) to jazz (Sonny Rollins, Tony Bennett) to rock (The Who, Santana).

I’d say my favorite was probably The Who at the Toyota Center in 2007. Talk about rocking.

My regret is being too young to have seen some of these performers during their peak years.

• DanMan says:

I got to see the Who and Led Zeppelin at both the Coliseum and the Summit (not together). Zeppelin did the first laser light show I ever saw.

ZZTop was a Thanksgiving weekend tradition. The boys came home that weekend and did a show while in town.

Joe Walsh was a semi-regular on 6th Street before he joined the Eagles. “Got any gum?” was his catch phrase. He’d be in the crowd in a bar and join the band for a few riffs quite often. I caught him with I-Tex once. I-Tex played country music to reggae and were very good musicians and hilarious as heck.

Zappa used to blow roof off the Music hall, as did Springsteen and ELO.

• Tuttabella says:

My mom used to drag me to Mexican concerts at the Music Hall when I was little, circa 1970, and then to the Coliseum. I’m having trouble imagining rock concerts at the Music Hall. The Coliseum, yes, but I remember the Music Hall being more like Jones Hall, for symphonies and such.

• Tuttabella says:

For the record . . . I eventually grew to love the Mexican concerts.

• CaptSternn says:

Hmmm, I haven’t been to many concerts myself. But I did get to see Pink Floyd at the dome. They really put on a show, lasers and flying pigs and all.

• DanMan says:

Yep Tuttabella, it was a small place for that much noise for sure.

Capt, I caught them at Jeppeson Stadium, pigs and all. Careful with that ax Eugene.

I’ve gone into Whole Foods only for specific items, like white whole wheat flour, which aren’t always readily available in the standard grocery stores. So I’ve never browsed through the strange stuff. But I regard stuff like homeopathy as a bad joke at best.

18. Crogged says:

This is a good path to take. Another is the vaccination deniers, who threaten civilization more than any SUV. Second, I don’t know how many times (well, every time gasoline prices spike) I get fellow traveler emails about ‘boycotting gasoline’. The mayor who wanted to limit soda sizes, the demonization of nuclear power, look, a hurricane-global warming caused it………sigh……..

The right has no monopoly on pseudo science.

19. geoff1968 says:

I caught that article. Foolishness is relatively intolerable. Sometimes one of my famous non sequturs’ll make due.

Been working on “Have You Met Miss Jones.” Rogers and Hart. A version by Chet Baker serves as a good touchstone. The party of Lincoln will pick up, don’t fret!

20. Turtles Run says:

I really cannot put some religious whackos that try to sell that the Earth is 6, 000 years old and some hippie that does not want inorganic pesticides touching his food in the same category.

Comedian on Noah’s Ark

21. lomamonster says:

The whole food and nothing but the food is of utmost consequence. Like so many new years’ resolutions, resistance can be a fleeting display of human bravery devolving into complete capitulation and despair. Intellectual bulimia quickly follows…

aaarrrrrp!