Greta van Sustern attacks Erick Erickson over Wendy Davis remarks

It is rude to say I told you so. Therefore I won’t do that.

The nominees for the Texas Governor’s race have not even been selected yet, but Democratic State Senator Wendy Davis is already creating a rhetorical pileup in the far right lane. Even in the Fox News universe, there are women who are uncomfortable with the way Davis is being manhandled by “conservative” talkers.

Greta Van Sustern lashed out at Red State’s Erick Erickson today, calling him a “jerk” over his Wendy Davis tweets. Her comments are on her Fox News blog here. Erickson is a first class jerk, but that’s basically his profession. What’s awkward is a Fox News commentator pointing out crude, bigoted behavior by a professional far right blowhard.

Like I said, Davis creates some difficult problems for the far right. You can alienate virtually every black person in America and still win a lot of state and local elections. Insulting women is a considerably more tenuous election tactic. Unfortunately, there is no force remaining in the GOP that can stop this nightmare from unfolding.

Davis is irresistible bigot-bait. It will not take long for the nasty rhetoric to overwhelm whatever messaging either side tries to develop. That’s not good news for a Republican frontrunner.

Greg Abbott, the presumed Republican nominee, could try to diffuse the rhetoric but it would cost him the support of his base and run counter to all of his instincts. He is unlikely to ever recognize the problem in the first place. You don’t become the leader in the GOP race for Texas Governor by virtue of your keen sensitivity to women’s concerns.

For twenty years the party has shouted down anyone who tried to encourage basic civility or understanding on culture, gender, or racial issues. Whoever tells Erick Erickson to stop insulting women can expect to earn their RiNO tag and be sent into exile for the sin of pushing “political correctness.”  Without any adults left in the room, this is going to get much uglier.

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Texas
76 comments on “Greta van Sustern attacks Erick Erickson over Wendy Davis remarks
  1. sad and tired in Houston says:

When is this ever going to stop Chris? When is enough, enough? The outright misogyny displayed in what I posted below is beyond disgusting. Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman complained all the time about how they were treated but nothing compares to the way Sandra Fluke is now being treated as well as Wendy Davis. When will this stop?
    FYI, I pulled this off of another site.

“Fox Nation vs Sandra Fluke:

RichardMekeel: Her nickname should be ‘Skippy’…So spreadable it’s incredible!

amerisad: Another sl u tty politician is just what California needs.

imspartacus: They have Abortion Barbie in Texas, now Condom Barbie in Kaliforinia. The dumocrap party is doing so well. LMAO

BadMoonRaising: U don’t need a seat. I think u should just get a cot in an empty room off of the House chambers where u can use up ur monthly freebee’s of condoms and birth control pills serving congress!

SDekker: Democrats degrade women! They think all women care about is free birth control and abortions. (This genius is trying out the new right wing talking point that telling women that no one can tell them how to live their lives is “degrading.” Good luck with that! -FLS)

cwheeler: low info will probably vote for the wh0re in need of my money to protect her from her own uncontrollable s3xual escapades

Breibart.com vs Sandra Fluke:

bobruark: I hear she has been “around the world” without leaving a bedroom

John H. Ruszkowski: Rush was right, Fluke is a slut.

Tommie: When will she have time? She will be exhausted. The Navy’s 7th fleet can keep her occupied.

BeatTTUN: Well she proved in front of the American People that she is a certifiable whore, so a logical career choice would be in politics.

Why she was never required to bring forth the men she claims to be having all the sex with only a monthly basis is beyond me.

SKinGN: She will be running as the standard bearer for the Slut Party

National Review vs Sandra Fluke:

joeblow: It’s a fluke anybody cares about this dopey broad. Also, why do lesbos need birth control?

Cuffs: I don’ think Fluke is a good choice.
    Could we be sure she would curtail her recreational sex long enough to serve as a public servant? The cost of her birth control would probably exceed The Mooch’s vacation spending.

stevesharkman: just what this country needs…another ugly, lonely, horny loser chick in office…

John Galt: I can see it now “The woman who will screw anyone is ready to screw America”
    And America will pay for it!

SandyH20: This slut and Abortion Barbie in Texas think women are nothing more than vagina’s that others are responsible for caring for!

SandyH20: Sandra is a slut. A liberal slut who should keep her pants on or pay for her own pills.”

2. kabuzz61 says:

Abandoning your children is a horrible thing to do. Palin resigned as governor and you lefties said she was lacking in character yet you think abandoning your children to seek a career is fine. Do you even see how screwed up your vision is? Nevermind. I know the answer.

If you really think that Palin resigned to spend more time with the kids, I’ve got a bridge to nowhere that might suit you……

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

I guess this might be time to define “abandoning”…’cause the way you seem to be doing it is going to you have upset at a whole lot of people.

Of course, your interpretation is probably much more accurate than the interpretations of the people actually involved in this situation.

• sad and tired in Houston says:

@Kabuzz61 -Sarah Palin has demonstrated over and over again the fact that the only thing she is interested in is promoting herself, however, that being said, I can’t say anything about her being a parent. The way she raised her children is not how I would have raised mine and that is the only criticism of her parenting skills I will offer. Wendy Davis and her second husband AGREED that it would be best if their two daughters stayed in Houston with him while she attended classes at Harvard and it was the best decision that they could have made at the time. She was there for her daughters and did not live in Boston full time. As for Wendy Davis’ two daughters, they have recently spoken about her parenting and that should be enough for EVERYBODY involved. We need to stop tearing up the people running for office on the personal level, yet it seems that those on the right who are screaming about how Sarah Palin was “abused” by the “media” are not above heaping even larger amounts of abuse and scorn on a woman who is running for office as a Democrat. If any one in the Republican party wants my respect then they should stand up and demand that the personal attacks need to stop ( that goes for the Democrats as well ). Our current crop of republican candidates here in Texas are a sorry and scary lot ( especially the men running for Lt. Gov. – anyone who thinks that it is okay to keep a brain dead woman’s body functioning just so it can bring a deformed fetus to term is sick beyond belief and their outright rejection of science and attempts to force the teaching of creationism in it’s stead are outright frightening ).

At this point I will never vote for another Texas Republican again.

• sad and tired in Houston says:

I should have said Dallas/Ft Worth when I mentions where
        Wendy Davis’ daughters lived while she was at Harvard

• DanMan says:

So explain her embellishing her life story about being single, lonely, working two jobs and getting by on her own pluck and energy? She made that the focus of her life story when it was only the most slender of situations she actually withstood to get where she is.

The repubs won’t miss a vote they never had.

• sad and tired in Houston says:

Danman – I have seen several of the comments you have made and you are part of the problem, you don’t really believe in civil discourse and you insist that you and others who march in lockstep with your beliefs are the only ones who are correct. Anything I would have to say to you would be a waste of my time and you, quite frankly, are not worth it.

• DanMan says:

poor sad and tired…typico libero

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

Just for you Buzz,

“I have spent the past few days reading the ludicrous comments that people have shared on social media about my mother and our family. It is a shame that those who don’t know us feel the need to comment on the details of our lives as if they’ve lived them. I have a hard time understanding how such hate and negativity can result from one person’s false accusations.”

Of course, you likely know better how things went down than do Davis’ daughters.

• DanMan says:

If you didn’t have double standards you’d have no standards at all applies here.

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

Dan…I’m sure you would agree that I’m stupid, so I’ll let you help me understand.

Which double standard am I applying here?

• Texan5142 says:

“Do you even see how screwed up your vision is?”

The irony , it burns.

• GG says:

Buzz, you are a broken record. “Lefties, blah, blah….”. You are a truly miserable old person and I suspect it has nothing to do with politics. You are angry at life because you are at the end of it and the world you thought you knew is changing and you are frightened and pissed in general.

Can we please have an armistice to end these tiresome “mommy wars”? They go on two fronts: the snarking between those who choose to have children and those who don’t, and stay at home vs the outside job. How about with the exception of actual abused/neglected children, everybody just live with their choices and allow others the same?

Who will the GOP end up pissing off more this election cycle- women or Hispanics? It’s too close to call.

5. DanMan says:

when somebody jumps and yells “you lie!” at the SOTU tonight he should include “to yourself!” Only the most idiotic sycophants believe anything he says anymore…

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

I guess this begs the question, are there actual prominent politician you do believe?

If so, Ted Cruz has a bridge to Cuba he would like to sell you.

• DanMan says:

not many but Cruz offers a unique plan, he follows the constitution closer than any other and that has his party in box

6. desperado says:

I think Wendy Davis’ daughters are a better judge of what kind of mother she is than anyone here.

7. rightonrush says:

Of course, that paragon of virtuous motherhood Dancing with the Stars and Alaskan unwed mommy Bristol Palin had to add her $.01

8. texan5142 says:

kabuzz61 says:
    January 28, 2014 at 10:22 am
    ‘”It was then I knew the left had no soul or decency.”

“Davis is a terrible mother and a worse spouse.”

Speaking of no soul or decency.

9. geoff1968 says:

I used to love the primate exhibit at the zoo. When they’re not busy dividing into warring tribal groups and flinging feces at each other they have many endearing charactoristics. Although the fecal flinging is more entertaining.

After watching “Alpha House” I’ve been connecting the worlds of politics and entertainment into one, relatively seemless, world of media. Where does one begin and the other end?

The whole thing leaves me a bit nonplussed. Is everybody fooled? Maybe we’re just playing at it for fun. We’re not fooled, but we love the act so much that we allow ourselves to be momentarily.

• Tuttabella says:

Reminds me of an article in the Washington Post by Alexandra Petri, about how constantly wallowing in and commiserating over the most recent oh-so terrible words of this or that entertainer/politician is like coming across a lump of dog doo, wrinkling your nose at it, and then, instead of burying it or covering it up, passing it around for everyone else to smell, and everyone running up to take a whiff and chiming in how OMG, can you BELIEVE how gross this is . . . ?

10. Bobo Amerigo says:

I find it hard to gen up any interest in Erick Erickson.

I’d never heard of him until I read this post.

But that doesn’t mean I think his words and attitude don’t have impact.

To dismiss jerks with microphones as mere entertainers doesn’t acknowledge just how intently the human brain seeks out entertainment. In this country alone, we spend billions of dollars on it each year.

The only way to lessen the impact of jerks with microphones may be to ignore them, but there’s nothing satisfying in that.

• Tuttabella says:

G’morning, Bobo. I agree that we seek out entertainment, and the brain seeks out stimulation, but we can choose where to look for it. No one HAS to have cable, or listen to certain programs or radio or TV hosts. Entertainment does not come looking for us — it’s the other way around. And we can’t really complain that we’re “surrounded” or “bombarded” with negative programming, as if we had no control over our environment. It’s certainly out there, but it’s just a question of turning the dial, or shutting it off completely, even if it means not being in the know. I know it’s easier said than done, but it CAN be done.

Of course, there are those who actively seek out these jerks, and I’m certainly not proposing that we censor these guys, so their words will continue to have impact among the populace. So be it. Not everyone is able to discriminate between the good and the bad, but that’s just one of the consequences of free speech.

I don’t feel that complaining about something nonstop amongst ourselves is really satisfying. I would say that if you want to really make your views known and maybe make a difference, bombard their advertisers with complaints, just as people did with Rush over his comments about Sandra Flucke. It gave Rush even more attention, but it did put him in his place, somewhat.

11. John Galt says:

That Erickson is a jackass is patently obvious to anyone whose knuckles don’t drag the ground, but van Sustern’s response is so playground it’s pathetic. I guess this is one of the many consequences of filling the 24 hour news cycle with people who look better than they sound (regardless of gender). Her whole blog reads like, “Yeah, well, you’re a jerk.” Wow. That’s really telling him.

12. Tuttabella says:

I don’t have cable and rarely watch TV, so all I know about Fox News is what you guys post. I am an avid listener of radio news and commentary, from BBC and NPR to some conservative talk, mostly AM 1070 — Dennis Prager and Michael Medved, serious conservatives who don’t have that mean-spirited streak. I can’t stand Rush and the other sarcastic, boorish types.

That said — I clicked on Lifer’s link to the Greta and Erick show. I would say Greta and others here are placing way too much importance on the comments of shock jocks. Guys like Rush and Erick are nothing more than entertainers. They’re paid to get everybody riled up, to take advantage of any opportunity to use a clever turn of phrase, to make an outrageous remark. They don’t represent conservative politicians nor the vast majority of conservative men. I’m surprised the words of these guys are taken so seriously.

Enough of this wallowing. If you’re intent on seeking out garbage you will find it. Does anyone around here post links to anything nice?

• desperado says:

“They don’t represent conservative politicians nor the vast majority of conservative men. I’m surprised the words of these guys are taken so seriously.”

Would that it were true. Few and far between are the politicians who call Rush out on anything he says. Those brave few who do usually end up recanting after the mail and phone calls start to flow into their offices.

• Tuttabella says:

I agree it is pathetic, that politicians should be so beholden to the words of entertainers, but then they are also public figures, so I guess it comes with the territory. It’s sad that so much control should be wielded by a vocal minority, but that just tells me that the rest of us, the normally silent majority, should do some bombarding of our own and show our support for the good, brave politicians by writing to them directly, and/or by bombarding Rush’s advertisers with negative emails or letters.

13. CaptSternn says:

Curious that Lifer didn’t actually link to the “offensive” comments. I had to Google it to find them. Yes, as I said under a different entry, Davis earned a name for herself and it will stick with her for the rest of her political career. But real conservatives (tea party movement members and some others) have no need to use it nor repeat it.

So yes, conservatives in general tend to back off name calling, while the left has it embedded into their personalities. The left calls for “civility” from the right while they practice the absolute opposite. Lifer proves that he is on the left, suggesting that Fox News and van Sustern is the exception instead of the norm. How about “neo-Confederate” and other such name-calling? Yep, right.

• John Galt says:

Conservatives tend to back off name calling? What color is the sky in your world?

• CaptSternn says:

Well let us see, John. I live in a world where a person of Fox News calls out some nobody on the conservative side for name calling, but where the leftist media sits around cackeling about tea baggers and nobody on the left bats an eye. Where there are blogs calling us neo-confederates, racists and other things and everybody joins in. So, what color is the sky in your world?

• texan5142 says:

That little lie you just told “Conservatives tend to back off name calling” shows that you are color blind and have no idea what the color of the sky is in your world or any other world.

Mr. obtuse is obtuse.

• kabuzz61 says:

Very well put. It would seem these lefties totally blocked out the despicable treatment Palin received along with her family including their down’s syndrome child. It was then I knew the left had no soul or decency.

• Texan5142 says:

“So yes, conservatives in general tend to back off name calling, while the left has it embedded into their personalities.”

Almost fell out of my chair reading that.

(facepalm)

14. way2gosassy says:

I don’t think that it would have mattered if Wendy Davis ran or not, it could have been any woman running as a Democrat in this state at any level. I am not as pissed about the right’s overwhelming ignorance about social issues as I am about the total lack of respect for the candidates and the voters, their total lack of common sense solutions for even the simplest problems. I think it’s about damn time that Republican women stand up to their male counterparts about the demeaning rhetoric being used that casts a long shadow over all women that can and do accomplish great things for all of our society both political and non political.

• DanMan says:

Well as Huckabee proved last week, it doesn’t matter what a repub says, you guys will strain credibility to make it something else and bleat like sheep for two days about how terrible what you made up is.

• kabuzz61 says:

way2, have you lived in a bubble during the 2008 election cycle? You lefties were absolutely vile when it concerned Palin AND her family. Now the ‘little democrat girl’ can’t take it. She might cry. You guys drew the fairness line so live with it. Wendy is a liar and far worse, she abandoned her children for her own selfish gains. She wins the big L on her forehead for LOSER>

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

Buzz says, “far worse, she abandoned her children for her own selfish gains.”

You are going to have lots and lots of male Republican candidates for which you are not going to be able to vote if that is part of your candidate selection criteria.

Unless, and I cannot imagine this being the case, you are less bent out of shape about a male politician who divorces his wife, leaves his kids with his ex-wife, and then goes on to become a successful politician.

• John Galt says:

And then leaves that wife for a young campaign staffer while having random trysts with strangers in airport men’s rooms.

• kabuzz61 says:

Unlike you lefties, I say a pox on all of them. But it is the left and the media that presents the fact that mothers are elevated due to the birthing process. They have the power to choose if the baby will live or die. Then if they decide the baby lives, they want support either through the father or state. Davis is a terrible mother and a worse spouse.

• desperado says:

“I say a pox on all of them. But it is the left….”

That pox didn’t even get close to the five-second rule, huh?

• texan5142 says:

Here is that self proclaimed good christian kabuzz judging someone he has never met.

“Davis is a terrible mother and a worse spouse.”

And you are a terrible father and a worse husband.

• John Galt says:

The only people qualified to judge Davis’s spousal or parenting skills are her ex-spouses and children. Certainly not Kabuzz.

I think the comparisons to Palin are apropos. The conservatives who love Palin so dearly give her a pass for doing basically what Davis has done, except Palin did so from a far better starting point than Davis. I think it is reprehensible for the media to drag children into public light, even if their parents are public figures, regardless of politics. Of course, if said politician chooses to use his or her children as campaign props, then they are choosing to put them in the public light.

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

Well, Buzz seems to have lots of pox he needs to pass around. I didn’t realize the divorce was grounds for not voting for someone, and I’m confident that Buzz never ever would (or did) vote for:

Ronald Reagan – divorced the mother of two of his children, one of which evidently was very premature since she was born only 7 months after they got married.

Bob Dole – divorced his wife (who nursed him through the recovery of his war wounds), leaving her with a child

Newt Gingrich – heck, too numerous to count

Dick Armey and Phil Gramm could not seem to stay married to their first wives.

Bob Barr – author of the “Defense of Marriage Act”, who should know marriage needs defending after his third marriage

John McCain – I’m sure it was difficult for you to vote for the happily married Obama versus the divorced and trading in for a new model McCain.

Fortunately, these are none judgmental poxes, because a good person would not sit in judgment of others, and certainly would want to walk some distance in some other shoes (if only to go find a good stone to cast first).

• DanMan says:

William Jefferson ‘Slick Willey’ Clinton – Impeached by the House of Representatives over allegations of perjury and obstruction of justice, but acquitted by the Senate. Sex Scandals include: Paula Jonesgate – The Lewinsky Affair – Perjury and Jobs for Lewinskygate – Kathleen Willeygate – Jaunita Broaddrick Gate.

Edward Moore ‘Teddy’ Kennedy – Democrat – U. S. Senator from Massachusetts. Pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident after leaving his date to die in a ditch…his car plunged off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island…Mary Jo Kopechne drowned.

Jesse Jackson – Democrat – Democratic candidate for President. Admitted to having an extramarital affair and fathering a illegitimate child.

Gary Condit – Democrat – US Democratic Congressman from California. Condit had an affair with an intern. Condit, covered up the affair and lied to police after she went missing. No charges were ever filed against Condit. Her remains were discovered in a Washington DC park.

Melvin Jay Reynolds – Democrat U.S. Representative from Illinois from 1993 to 1995. Convicted on sexual misconduct and obstruction of justice charges and sentenced to five years in prison.

Hiram Monserrate – Queens City Councilman and state Senator-elect – who has claimed to be an advocate of victims of domestic violence – was arrested for breaking a glass over his girlfriend’s face.

Neil Goldschmidt – Democrat – Oregon governor. Admitted to having an illegal sexual relationship with a 14-year-old teenager while he was serving as Mayor of Portland.

Abraham J. Hirschfeld – Democrat – candidate in Democratic primary for U.S. Senator from New York in 1974 and 1976. Offered Paula Jones $1 million to drop her sexual harassment lawsuit against President Bill Clinton. Convicted in 2000 of trying to hire a hit man to kill his business partner.

Allan Turner Howe – Democrat – U.S. Representative from Utah from 1975 to 1977. Arrested for soliciting a policewoman posing as a prostitute.

Joseph Waggonner Jr. – Democrat – U.S. Representative from Louisiana from 1961 to 19 79. Arrested in Washington, D.C. for soliciting a policewoman posing as a prostitute

• texan5142 says:

‘Jerry Springer – Democrat – Resigned from Cincinnati City Council in 1974 after admitting to paying a prostitute with a personal check, which was found in a police raid on a massage parlor.”

“Eliot Spitzer – Democrat – New York governor – resigned from office after being tied to a prostitution ring.”

“James McGreevey – Democrat – New Jersey Governor . Admitted to having a gay affair. Resigned after allegations of sexual harassment, rumors of being blackmailed on top of fundraising investigations and indictments.”

Notice they resigned, not so much for David Vitter, things like that make him qualified to run for governor in wing nut land.

• kabuzz61 says:

Again, you lefties live in a bubble of your choosing. Every candidate since Clinton put their children out there during campaigns as props. It wasn’t until Palin that the very vile attacks went directly to the kids. You guys own it now. You drew the line. Now you whine and cry when Davis gets called out. Pathetic lot.

• texan5142 says:

You seem angry kabuzz, have one of the staff at the nursing home change your diaper and clean you up.

• Houston-Stay-At-Homer says:

Dan, thanks for the summary. Oddly enough, it is only one side that seems to be bent out of shape about voting for folks who have been divorced.

I’m not worried that Bob Barr has trouble staying married. I’m worried that Bob Barr thinks his gov’t should make decisions about who can get married.

• DanMan says:

well stay at homer I’m just as surprised the top two democrats are serial adulterers and get away with murder, but liberals accept lies as normal so my surprise is somewhat muted

I’ll leave it to you to worry about Bob Barr though.

15. DFC says:

“You cannot make soldiers of slaves, or slaves of soldiers. The day you make a soldier of them is the beginning of the end of the Revolution. And if slaves seem good soldiers, then our whole theory of slavery is wrong.” — CSA Senator Howell Cobb.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

16. DanMan says:

yep, checked it out. Looks like high school.

17. DanMan says:

Her show always reminds me of Nancy Grace.

18. GG says:

Greta, you in danger gurl! She’s going to get all kinds of crap from Fox viewers.

• kabuzz61 says:

Funny how you lefties forget how Greta advised you to ease up on Palin and her family. You totally disregarded her then. Greta is fair. You are not.

• Turtles Run says:

Palin is a bomb thrower that loves to dish it out but cannot take it. Like most right-wingers, she has a false sense of persecution.

• DanMan says:

false sense of persecution? you libs get the vapors at the mention of her name.

• kabuzz61 says:

My mentally challenged friend TR, Palin, when announced for VP did not have any political bomb throwing experience. Nice try. Put your helmet on.