Resignation letter

Yesterday I resigned my position in the York Township Republican Committeemen’s Organization. Below is the letter I sent to the chairman explaining my decision.

***********

Chairman Cuzzone:

We come together in political parties to magnify our influence. An organized representative institution can give weight to our will in ways we could not accomplish on our own. Working with others gives us power, but at the cost of constant, calculated compromise. No two people will agree on everything. There is no moral purity in politics.

If compromise is the key to healthy politics, how does one respond when compromise descends into complicity? To preserve a sense of our personal moral accountability we must each define boundaries. For those boundaries to have meaning we must have the courage to protect them, even when the cost is high.

Almost thirty years ago as a teenager in Texas, I attended my first county Republican convention. As a college student I met a young Rick Perry, fresh from his conversion to the GOP, as he was launching his first campaign for statewide office. Through Associated Republicans of Texas I contributed and volunteered for business-friendly Republican state and local candidates.

Here in DuPage County I’ve been a precinct committeeman since 2006. Door to door I’ve canvased my precinct in support of our candidates. Trudging through snow, using a drill to break the frozen ground, I posted signs for candidates on whom I pinned my hopes for better government. Among Illinois Republicans I found an organization that seemed to embody my hopes for the party nationally. Pragmatic, sensible, and focused on solid government, it seemed like a GOP Jurassic Park, where the sensible, reliable Republicans of old still roamed the landscape.

At the national level, the delusions necessary to sustain our Cold War coalition were becoming dangerous long before Donald Trump arrived. From tax policy to climate change, we have found ourselves less at odds with philosophical rivals than with the fundamentals of math, science and objective reality.

The Iraq War, the financial meltdown, the utter failure of supply-side theory, climate denial, and our strange pursuit of theocratic legislation have all been troubling. Yet it seemed that America’s party of commerce, trade, and pragmatism might still have time to sober up. Remaining engaged in the party implied a contribution to that renaissance, an investment in hope. Donald Trump has put an end to that hope.

From his fairy-tale wall to his schoolyard bullying and his flirtation with violent racists, Donald Trump offers America a singular narrative – a tale of cowards. Fearful people, convinced of our inadequacy, trembling before a world alight with imaginary threats, crave a demagogue. Neither party has ever elevated to this level a more toxic figure, one that calls forth the darkest elements of our national character.

With three decades invested in the Republican Party, there is a powerful temptation to shrug and soldier on. Despite the bold rhetoric, we all know Trump will lose. Why throw away a great personal investment over one bad nominee? Trump is not merely a poor candidate, but an indictment of our character. Preserving a party is not a morally defensible goal if that party has lost its legitimacy.

Watching Ronald Reagan as a boy, I recall how bold it was for him to declare ‘morning again’ in America. In a country menaced by Communism and burdened by a struggling economy, the audacity of Reagan’s optimism inspired a generation.

Fast-forward to our present leadership and the nature of our dilemma is clear. I watched Paul Ryan speak at Donald Trump’s convention the way a young child watches his father march off to prison. Thousands of Republican figures that loathe Donald Trump, understand the danger he represents, and privately hope he loses, are publicly declaring their support for him. In Illinois our local and state GOP organizations, faced with a choice, have decided on complicity.

Our leaders’ compromise preserves their personal capital at our collective cost. Their refusal to dissent robs all Republicans of moral cover. Evasion and cowardice has prevailed over conscience. We are now, and shall indefinitely remain, the Party of Donald Trump.

I will not contribute my name, my work, or my character to an utterly indefensible cause. No sensible adult demands moral purity from a political party, but conscience is meaningless without constraints. A party willing to lend its collective capital to Donald Trump has entered a compromise beyond any credible threshold of legitimacy. There is no redemption in being one of the “good Nazis.”

I hereby resign my position as a York Township Republican committeeman. My thirty-year tenure as a Republican is over.

Sincerely,

Chris Ladd

Postscript – Needless to say, the response to the letter has been stunning and overwhelming. I want to express my gratitude to the people who have shared so many kind thoughts. It was my intention to reply to each of the emails I’ve received, but I was snowed under by late last night and they keep piling up.

Some of the warmest regards have come from right here in suburban Chicago. When I posted this letter I was prepared to face some anger here at home from fellow Republicans. Nothing of the kind has materialized. The only official response from the local GOP so far has been support, for which I am immensely grateful. It gives me hope. We may all come out of this debacle in better condition.

***********

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Election 2016, Republican Party, Uncategorized
1,393 comments on “Resignation letter
  1. Charlotte says:

Everyone comes to a crossroads in life where they have to choose. Im sorry you found the end of your road at a time I feel needed saving.
    I see a decline in the last 8 years or maybe longer of people having compassion for one another and disregard for our or country.
    We have become so greedy that we don’t care for the very ones who make America what it was. United together we stand!
    We used to work together grow together care about our neighbor. Now it’s about how you can have a better house or car or clothes or vacation place than our neighbor….it’s about me me me!
    I am with Donal Trump because he sees that too, I believe. He remembers that too.
    It’s hard to go back in time but hopefully if he has a chance to win, we might get some of those values we cherished along with some new ideas for the future.
    So you see I am sad to lose someone who felt as you did but can’t see the forest through the trees. All I can see is The Clinton’s are the greedy people I talk about and have been for many years. There Agenda is me me me!

• Heather T. says:

Funny how eight years ago, a black man was elected to be our President. When the Republican party (however you want to define and dissect it) made their first priority to block his every move, *that* is when the country started to divide. *That* is when people started to develop this disregard for the country as a whole, and focus instead on “me me me.” They even shut down the government just to be able to say “no”! The Democratic party (i.e., people like me) has continued to be bewildered and stunned at the complete disregard and failure to perform on the part of Republicans. I cannot believe that they are even now threatening to not consider new justices. It is such an abrogation of duty that fail-safes were never even considered for such a contingency by the founders. Building a wall: me, me, me.

Chris, my mother left the Republican party about 4-5 years ago, troubled by the very same attitudes you mention. I very much respect your decision. I hope that somehow we can refocus, together, on the country and *all* of the disaffected–including you, Charlotte.

• Bridgetc47 says:

I’m sorry you’re so deceived in your candidate. Bill & Hillary Clinton give away more money in one month than Donnie has done in all his time on this earth.

God willing, God will protect the United States from this conman & charlatan.

2. Ed says:

If Chris Ladd and his ilk were really interested in serving the people, they would have mightily objected to Ron Paul being railroaded in the last election and would not be turning their back on those who support Donald Trump. Chris and his ilk is the reason so many have turned against the republican party. Good riddance to Chris Ladd and his ilk.

3. Timothy Buehler says:

A vote for Hillary is a vote for the decimation of the Supreme Court. I will blame the GOP if this happens and will never return.

4. David Coxe says:

As a Democrat, I too am disillusioned by my party. I have seen a huge transformation from the party of Reagan to the party of Trump. It’s clear that you truly were pained to have to write this letter. I pray for you that your party, for lack of a more polite phrase, gets its shit together. I would love to return to civil political discourse. Best of luck, sir!

5. Donald Duck says:

As a Canadian I can tell you that I and I think many other Canadians fear for our American friends and relatives who’s country seems to only have only two candidates and of the quality that has presented themselves out of the hundreds of millions of people who are citizens of the USA to fill the top office. Perhaps it is proof that the group who commands the decisions of that nation and perhaps could be said of our own nation
    are not chosen democratically in the furthest stretch of that definition. We elect a puppet that the powers that run our countries dangle in front of our face.

I guess the view depends upon where you stand. From here, I am seeing good things from your new PM Justin Trudeau. Are Canadians unhappy with him, generally, or more so from the conservatives?

6. […] Resignation letter | GOPLifer – Reading this letter made me cry. It’s almost thought for thought exactly the way I’ve been feeling for more than a year, and in a broader sense for almost twenty … […]

7. […] the convention I sent my resignation letter to our local party chairman and posted it on social media. I cut my last ties to the Republican Party. The ‘GOPLifer’ project was […]

8. Dale Flynn says:

What a great, articulate letter! I am just surprised and disappointed that more Republican leaders have not denounced Trump and left the party for exactly the reasons articulated in this letter. Virtually all of the moderate Republicans I know, including myself, got disgusted and gave up on the party years ago. It has become a party of ignorance, discredited ideology, intolerance, and lies; and the poodle of rich special interests. In other words, it has become the party of Trump.

9. Chad mcdonald says:

Reading this letter made me cry. It’s almost thought for thought exactly the way I’ve been feeling for more than a year, and in a broader sense for almost twenty years. Just because I don’t subscribe to the democrats’ philosophies doesn’t mean I’m totally on board with republicans, and inch by inch, day by day they have been moving in directions I can’t go. I haven’t made the final determination to leave like Mr. Ladd, but like a wife being repeatedly abused, I don’t think I can take much more before I head out the door.

10. DaveMICH says:

I feel terrible for all those small business people that Trump stiffed over the years. He destroyed lives. This isn’t just a smear. It’s a fact. He hired contractors and then just decided he could refuse to pay them because he realized it would cost them more to sue.

11. Pete says:

Millions of Americans support Trump. I support Trump. We are not “deplorable.” I am highly educated and am making a highly-educated decision. My father is Jewish and your “nazi on” comment enrages me. Never-Trumpers in their very expression help me to context their opinions. Thank for that.

Pete, if you would, please articulate why you feel that Donald Trump should become our next president? I am genuinely interested.

• Pete says:

1) Conservative Supreme Court nominations 2) credible opposition to Clinton’s failed foreign policy thru positions of American interest first 3) proven leadership skills 3) articulated plans to reduce the size and scope of the Federal Government 4) articulated plans to successfully reform health insurance 5) articulated plans for successful immigration reform 6) American first trade reform to reverse globalist failures and support our worker and economic interests.

• Pete says:

Victory in debates . . . Wiki . . then FL, Ohio, NC, Iowa, NH, NV, PA, maybe WI . . . done.

• Margaret L says:

If by “articulated plans,” you mean what Trump has yelled at a rally somewhere…. That leaves me cold. Truth is it was most of the time just a thought that popped into his head on the stage of the rally. Robert Costa, the Washington Post reporter, who has been reporting on Trump’s campaign from last year told Charlie Rose recently that Trump’s “got nothing…” Rose specifically asked him about Trump’s “plans,” that he speaks of in his speeches. Costa responded, “He’s just flying by the seat of his pants. He’s got nothing…”

• Margaret L says:

A good unbiased report on what brought each candidate to this place in their lives is the most recent Frontline report on PBS… Tells early life events of both candidates.

Margaret, May I suggest in addition to Frontline’s “The Choice”, that you sign up to “follow” goplifer.com. The caliber of posts and commentary is substantive and civil. You will be introduced to the thoughtful views of people from all over this vast continent as well as within the U.S. The highly edited reading list of quality articles are shared from a broad array of sources. I think you’ll find it most helpful to expanding your general knowledge and specific knowledge as relates to posts Chris Ladd appends.

• Mary kathleen Pike says:

Oh, Robert Costa….and he should know, right? Who the hell is he anyway?

Robert Costa is well respected as a jounalist. Do I detect a bit of snark? What is your issue?

• ilpetermic says:

YES you are VERY DEPLORABLE to sink to such a low level to support your evil candidate. Time for you to WAKE UP along with many other millions of people. Trump is a disgrace and all his supporters are too.

• Nick says:

This is so obvious. The man is unfit period. My God how could anyone Vote for this despicable person. He cares not one wit about anyone including his country. He cares about himself. Period.

12. […] Resignation letter Resignation letter sample | jehzlau concepts, Letter resignation: good effective resignation letter jehzeel laurente. […]

• Anita Wages says:

To: Chris Ladd
      I read the article you posted on Word Press and I am shocked and dismayed at your stance.
      I couldn’t believe it, from you of all people.
      So if this is your belief and you’re supporting the Liberal Agenda and leaving the Republican Party because ‘today’ you don’t like them? All I can say is it is a sad day.
      I’m glad you have resigned as you are a Democrat in Republican clothing. If you stand with a criminals and Socialists like Mrs. Clinton, then you definitely belong on ‘that side of the fence’. We, the Republican Conservatives, do not need you. (Note I didn’t say the GOP or the Republican Elite – -they are not us). You are not a Conservative and you are not a true Patriot. A Democrat is not an American Patriot. They are out to destroy our country – and for the last 40 years they have been accomplishing that feat.

• Elizabeth says:

You, Ms. Wages, are insane, and a perfect example of why this country is so divided. Thank you for showing your true colors. Sincerely, An Embarrassed Republican

• Nick says:

Boy what a shame. It’s attitudes like yours that are greatly harming the country, not Democrats. I am a loyal Republican which is one reason Trump must be stopped. He is a despicable individual and a joke of monumental proportions. He is doing irreparable damage to the party. He is actually a terrible candidate and will
        Lose in a landslide, in any event. How does he get support from any adult when he makes fun of a disabled person. Answer this question please. He’s a disgusting and disgraceful person.

• Chad mcdonald says:

Ms. Webb,
        I hope everyone gets an opportunity to read your response to Mr. Webb. You truly represent what I feel is the completely self-destructive wing of the Republican Party. For whatever millions there are out there that support Trump, there are many more millions out there that are soul sick at this lurch towards insanity and intolerance that he represents – we recognize you, it’s time you recognize us! We belong in the party every bit as much as you, more so considering we actually love the party whereas you and your kind would like nothing more than to destroy it. Your mindless faction is chanting “Burn it down! Born it down!” without thinking a step ahead to what it will be like when we’re left standing in charred ruins. Like gassy children who throw tantrums for no reason, you refuse to grow up and be responsible adults in a world where compromise is the only sane way to live with each other.

I can’t wait till you lose, and lose big! It’ll be the electoral equivalent of the soanking you brats all need!

13. Meredith Muncy says:

Thank you, Mr. Ladd, for your bravery, service, and sacrifice. What a tragic and wrenching confluence of circumstances that have brought you here, yet what a magnificent stand you are taking, an act of patriotic conscience. Thank you! My respect, sympathy, and admiration are with you, coming to you from across the country and across the aisle, citizen to citizen, sister to brother. Thank you, thank you, bless you. Wishing you continued strength, courage and wisdom.

14. […] Trump is the nominee, Chris Ladd is no longer a ‘Lifer,’ and this campaign isn’t funny anymore. Time to clear the table and pay […]

15. […] Resignation letter Letter resignation – wikipedia, free encyclopedia, A letter resignation written announce author' intent leave position held, office, employment commission.. […]

16. […] Resignation letter Letter resignation – wikipedia, free encyclopedia, A letter resignation written announce author' intent leave position held, office, employment commission.. […]

17. […] Resignation letter Dos don’ts resignation letter – mom hates, Professional resignation letter samples download. resign write professional resignation letter. post download. […]

18. Irene Daniel says:

Thank you for your courage. I can add nothing to your words. I am a life-long Democrat and I too lament the debacle that has become the Republican Party. It is no longer the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Ike or even Ronald Reagan. Our diversity is our strength and our pathway to that “more perfect union.” Thanks again! May you be richly blessed.

• msanita92 says:

Irene, the Debacle has developed in the Democrat Party and the GOP. It has not developed in the Republican Conservatives, as we are now known as. The GOP does not represent me or my party. They are a group of Elite Politicians just like the Democrats are. None of them are true American Patriots. The only true Patriots today are the Conservatives.

19. Les Koy says:

I am moved and impressed by your eloquent resignation. I am also saddened by it, for I fear the lack of level headed moderates in both parties has led to the current morass. Like you, however, I don’t see how you could do otherwise.

20. Roy Coy Cohen says:

Chris,
    I am a Houstonian–I became one as a 25 year old and grew up in the South. Confession: I have been a pragmatic Democrat since age 12, when I placed a Kennedy-Johnson bumper sticker on my bedroom door.

I’ve been surrounded by Republicans all of my life. Most are wonderful people with a different philosophical view of life and people. Chris, over the years I have watched the GOP morph, beginning with Richard Nixon, into a Party more and more selfish, more and ore dishonest and using that dishonesty to attract and dupe new members, a Party appealing to fear and base instincts of both good and bad people, a Party deliberately appealing to racists, business cheayears and hatred.
    My Democratic Party is not perfect. No Party is. I want to scream at its leadership and management sometimes. I sometimes want to shake a basically good person, Hillary Clinton and say to hsr, “Why in the world did you SAY that? It wasn’t smart politically to rspond that way.” Sometime I think, “It must be the lawyer in her. She isn’t a gifted politician.” And “Why did she stupidly put herself in that position which makes her LOOK bad even though she isn’t.”

I think you’ve figured it all out. Clinton doesn’t get up in the morning, conniving to get hers and shaft everyone else. Unfortunately THAT is what the Republican Party has become. Power for power’s sake. Republican politicians use any lever they can to gain power. They have co-opted churches and preachers. Co-opted right to lifers. Co-opted blue collar workers and labor unon membets who.make what they make from the right to collectively bargain. Co-opted blue collar workers by convincing them that Democrats shipped their jobs overseas and that only the GOP can and will get them back. Accepted racism as a tool to garner GOP votes by dog whistling to them.

And now they’ve gone beyond the pale with Trump and this event has presented the opportunity for GOP leaders to show who they REALLY are: a bunch of selfish, cowardly excuses parading around as phoney loyal Americans.

I humbly invie you to join the Democratic Party and help.make it and America better. You are a true patriot.

• arbresalbosc says:

So well expressed! Thanks for your eloquent point of view.

• Nick Aghazarian says:

I would respectfully disagree, and encourage you not to join the Democratic Party. For all its faults, we have a two party system. It doesn’t work as well when one party rules completely.

Instead of joining the Dems, please take some time and develop a new party platform. It doesn’t need to, and probably shouldn’t be called Republican. This platform should be more in line with the current electorate. I completely agree that Supply Side economics is a farce. In fact, I believe it is one of the primary reasons why the GOP electorate is *so* angry. The GOP *can* not fulfill their promises. You cannot balance a budget with a financial policy that prevents you from doing so.

I think if you created a new platform, many of the moderate GOP electorate would gladly back it. Then maybe, just maybe, we could get back to having reasoned discussions about how to move closer to the American ideal.

• Mary kathleen Pike says:

You can’t be serious…Hillary doesn’t get up in the morning conniving to get hers? That is ALL she has EVER done. From lying to the victims of Benghazi’s parents, to her private email server and destroying 33,000 emails about Yoga and her daughters wedding, wow that was a good one, to “standing by her man” and degrading the women he sexually abused. I especially like the fact the she Panders to Blacks, Latinos, Women, Gays, Lesbians and illegals all for their votes. Get down off that high horse you are on, it really is quite pathetic.

21. Again, what took you so long? So calling Mexicans rapists wasn’t bad enough? Proposing to ban Muslims wasn’t bad enough?

• arbresalbosc says:

William Turner, of course you’re right. However, this is what Ladd is saying, isn’t it? No need to be “holier than thou” and harsh to a guy who has finally seen clearly what’s happening. You take the risk of sounding all too much like a radical Republican!

22. David Goldberg says:

You are a man of integrity. The truth is that we can survive 4 years of Clinton, flawed as she may be. I am not sure we can survive (in the literal sense) 4 years of Trump.

• Jana Leland says:

Thank you, sir, so much for putting it really where it needs to be–would we–COULD we ‘survive’ the dster? GOD Bless you and Shalom. –jana, sun antonio, tejas

23. Nick g says:

Common sense.Trump is a disgrace. I have been most surprised by the lack of immediate disavowal of this Obviously indecent and totally unacceptable person by party leaders. Only now when the obvious- he’ll lose in a landslide and take the senate with him-becomes apparent tothe willfully blind do we see some disassociation. It will always be a great disappointment to me that many I respected did not denounce this despicable con man. They know better.

24. Well said. To us non-Americans, the support for Donald Trump is simply baffling and we worry this is showing the worst of the racist, mysoginistic, xenophobic underbelly of a large number of voters.

25. Johniey Jones says:

I’m proud of you for your principles, as my 94 year old father would be too. And he will be when he reads your resignation letter – I’ll be sending him the link to this page. He was a proud Reagan Republican who left the party, or rather he would say the Republican Party left him. They parted company when the Party began to ignore the “fundamentals of math, science and objective reality”. He is also a proud veteran of the Korean War.

As a patriotic American I’m proud of you too. The last thing our great country needs is a leader who is a demagogue which is exactly what we would have if Trump should win.

I felt compelled to write you in gratitude. I am facing the personal need to take a principled stand in a personal matter, one where the blowback may very well consume me. Your principled stand helps to give me courage. Thank you!

26. Patrick Hoffman says:

“From tax policy to climate change, we have found ourselves less at odds with philosophical rivals than with the fundamentals of math, science and objective reality.”

Glad this was all OK with you republicans, but Trump ruining your “reputation” is when it went too far. Not like we need to be able to breathe the air or drink the water. Love how every now and then they even admit to knowing about it even as its constantly denied.

Let me guess, joining the libertarians and voting for Johnson? Republicans are the modern version of 8th century rats. Synonymous with plague. I hope this country stays smart enough to keep even the “smart ones” like you from ever becoming president.

Also can’t wait to hear you telling people why the EPA is a sham and companies like Tesla cause more pollution than thier competitors.

• Cori MacNaughton says:

So you’re trolling without even bothering the read his post all the way through?

Why the name-calling? What has this man ever done to you to earn disrespect?

For myself, I am a lifelong liberal who agrees with his post, agrees that Trump is too great a danger to take lightly, and applauds him for standing up and adding his voice to those of us opposing such a travesty as a Drumpf presidency. Neither party is blameless.

27. AquarianM says:

I’ve been a Democrat for years. I was even an elected Dem PC in York Township for two terms. I find myself in the same place with the Democratic party. Bernie Sanders is a man who has kept his word for decades. He even kept his word to endorse the Dem nominee, despite the proven fact that the DNC interfered massively in the Democratic primaries, AND colluded with a corrupt corporate media. I can not in good conscience vote for a nominee who won by deception – and the jury is still out on her complicity. All I have left is to focus down-ballot and vote 3rd party at the top. Neither of the major party presidential nominees has and credibility or stability. Our country can only function properly by collaborating on areas where we agree first, and then finding compromise on the rest. This never happens in national politics any longer. All of us at the lower levels of whatever party we affiliate with are here to make a better future for our families, neighbors, friends, fellow citizens, and world. We may not agree on the means to get there, or what exactly that should look like in the end. Still, that is our common motivation. Until we see each other as fellow citizens, and work on our points of agreement first, those pulling the strings will continue to play on our perceived divisions to all our detriment. This is the craziest election I have ever seen in my 54 years. You’re not alone in seeing a void at the top, my fellow citizens.

28. Kathy says:

How have we let our country get to this point? How do we choose who to vote for when the options are all lying, cheating, dishonest crooks? No matter who wins it’s looking like the outcome will inevitably be the beginning of the end of America as we know it & how we were raised to believe it would be. How can anyone of us show or have any respect for our country’s elected leaders & officials.. I’m not a politically wise or educated citizen. I grew up thinking all of you politically wise people would look out for people like my uneducated and foolish self so i wouldn’t need to worry about it… so i never got involved or paid enough attention all these years that our country has slowly fallen further and further away from what i thought America stood for. Now all the sudden Im seeing all this hate and disrespect and everyone trying to expose the others worst sides. I see our country heading too total chaos and a total crash of our government and its structure i always thought I could count on. Now I’m scared and don’t know what to do to look out for myself and everyone I care about. What do we do and how can we all help try to save us from ourselves. Im not the only American who wonders what will happen to us all. Why is it impossible to find a good honest honorable leader that will be good leader for this country….. We will all have to make sacrifices to get our country turned around. Everyone needs to give more than they take so theres enough to go around. But how do we vote for a leader when the options are all sure to tear apart this country and damage it even more. I’m scared theres gotta be a better solution to saving us….. or maybe its just to late and we are doomed. I wont vote for anyone before i will vote for any of the options offered. I feel guilty that I as well as all of America let it get this bad other countries are no doubt laughing at us seeing all the failure and stupidity being displayed, the fighting and crime everywhere. we as a country have failed. Where has United we stand gone everyone everywhere is divided. Where are the ten commandments anymore? do many people even remember them anymore? When did we give up our honor and quit doing the right thing? How do we get respect back? We can’t just all quit and give up.

Since you admit that you are uninformed about political leadership, and find yourself unable to “support any of the choices”, maybe the best course of action would be for you to: make an effort to learn more about the two obvious contenders for President – their qualifications, temperament, experience. If that doesn’t help you make up your mind, then look to those who you respect and ask their opinion. Another option is to start following this blog which is populated with many well informed people, and see who they are supporting. Sometimes, elections don’t offer us a candidate that is ideal. Sometimes, we have to go with the best of the people who are running. I am voting FOR Hillary Clinton, just so you know.

Good luck. The first step in becoming informed is admitting you aren’t. The next step is doing something about it other than complaining or making a knee-jerk voting choice that you may regret. Always, put country before party and this will provide good guidance to your ultimate decision.

• Kathy says:

thank u for the good advice and thats what i am trying to do and have been reading the posts trying top be informed and learn more thanx again

Good for you, Kathy. If more people took the time and interest you’re investing, our Democracy would be more representative of all of America. GOTV is critical for this election, as is each voter investing the time to make a good decision for our country. Keep plugging!

• Gina McLendon says:

Bravo!

• Stephanie says:

I hate to answer you with the simplicity of a link. However, if I were to sit right next to you and give you calm and peace, this is what I would give you. Please watch, as you have stated your dilema of understanding. From one believer to another, peace.

• Vivian Hays says:

Let’s look at your letter. Your first sentence being a question…”how have we let our country get to this point”? Dissect that sentence…lets start with “how did we”…there was no “we” as you clarify in your later statement. “You” let others make every choice for you, letting them ” worry about it” for you…never standing up for or making the slightest effort to educate yourself or participate; never thinking about any of the huge issues and challenges facing “our” country. In your own words, “you never got involved, paid attention, never noticed that the country was not turning out quite as you expected”….and then your next statement is “now, all of a sudden” you’re seeing all the hatred” ….blah blah blah… etc…years and years and years of throwing the responsibly, the decisions, the effort onto others and now it’s “all of a sudden”. Well, that describes you and millions upon millions of other people who beg off responsibility in the name of ignorance (read laziness) and now you all look on in wonder and fear as what you wanted to be happening; some pie in the sky version of America, The Beautiful, hasn’t magically appeared for you to bask in.

Now you’re “scared”. From reading the rest of your statement it seems that you’re continuing the path of “I don’t kno what to do” …
      if all those Americans had spent a few more hours once in a great while trying to educate themselves and their offspring about current issues instead of watching soap operas and football then maybe we wouldn’t be a nation of dumb asses who now want to cry and wring our collective hands in fear and trepidation, still waiting for some “other” to save you.

You call our elected leaders “lying cheating dishonest crooks”. Well, those leaders got elected one election at a time…it wasn’t magical, it didn’t happen out of thin air. You elected them, even by not showing up, even by not participating. Others, who actually did participate made their decisions based on 30 second sound bites and the same type of political hype that has you shaking in your boots right now. These people show up, but they never try and learn the real issues, relying on political spin and easy answers.

You are to blame and now you want to wank about it. Now you cry doom and gloom. Now you are once again willing to be helpless, not take responsibility and not vote.

The actual choice is easy. One candidate is a racist bigot who spouts hate filled fear mongering bullshit. The other is a political powerhouse who has accomplished some very impressive political feats and who’s husband is one of the few Presidents who actually left office with a surplus in the budget. Get a fucking clue.

This country is not headed to total chaos…that is more political spin. Wiser, more informed, more responsible people will step up, once again, and make the right decision in this election. Once again they will do the work and save the rest of you, despite yourselves. Making the needed effort to overcome your collective self imposed ignorance, apathy and laziness of mind.

I did find it slightly encouraging that in your letter you eventually accept some responsibility for the current state of affairs in “our” country. That, at least, offers some hope that you might be willing to step up and be a responsible citizen, instead of a detriment, and learn what it takes to actually “make a country great again”. And it isn’t Donald Trump.

• Parker says:

Spot on. It is unbelievable that the Republicans are now feigning the “sky is falling” due to Donald Trump. The only reason they are running for cover is that their cover of being closeted bigots and having ruined the economy has been blown.

The truth of the matter is that people like this, who hide behind euphemistic rhetoric are more dangerous than Trump and others who speak what they actually think. Voters of the United States need to vote in a Democrat controlled House and Senate.

Besides the hyperbolic racist statements coming from Trump, people need to know that over the last 30 years our economy has only flourished under two Democrat Presidents, Clinton and Obama.

Trickle down pissed in our face, the war created oil wars lined their pockets especially Cheney’s, the worst US attack on our “homeland” occurred under Bush 43 and they still push an agenda that they are the ones that can keep us safe. Republicans are like school yard bullies, take them out to the playground after school punch in the face and they change up and say I didn’t mean it and want to be your friend.

Trump has been so revealing of the Republicans and now they want to defect. Sorry you’ve revealed your true selves.

NO, that is where you are incorrect, Parker. Republicans don’t want to “defect”, they want Trump “to go away where the sun don’t shine”. The only silver lining to the Trump campaign is that it finally revealed the underbelly of what the Republican Party has become, and Gotten Away With for Years! The GOP used to be a fine party, but it has been in a self-imposed downward spiral since the Reagan years, IMO…because that’s when I really started paying attention to politics (I’m 73). I always “liked” REagan but I never believe he was St. Reagan nor did I believe in his political positions on the budget. Democrats have their own ugly history but they appear to have been learning from it and were able to govern, as you point out….even Carter, who actually accomplished a great deal but made some bad decisions along the way.

• Parker says:

1mime I would agree with the authors assessment of Clinton inheriting Bush 41’s economic policies but there is no way that Obama was able to improve the economy with what he inherited from Bush 43. Obama had to take major corrective action to prevent a crash. The macro policies Obama put into place saved our economy. I won’t get into the minutia of every action but if Congress would have worked with him just a little we would be much farther along. And trickle down was a failed policy.

Parker,. we don’t disagree at all. Imagine what Obama could have accomplished if he had walked into office under normal deficit circumstances, AND, a party that pledged to make him a one-term president. That he achieved as much as he did is remarkable. He could have hit the ground running a little faster (something I believe HRC knows how to do and why she must do so….think – mid-term elections in 2018). Given the gravity of the Great Recession he inherited and his personal campaign pledge to millions of Americans for health insurance for all, I think history will treat him kindly. He wore his responsibilities with great dignity as he bore the insults of a party that denigrated his race, his achievements, and his birthplace.

• Jean S.M. says:

Kathy, you also might consider turning off the new stations. The only news I ever watch is NPT and C-Span and a few of the better true news Columnists and Journalists who still use common sense and know of what they are speaking. You are only seeing opinions of others, not necessarily the truth. There are indeed people out there who are telling the truth and if you really care, you can investigate and find that truth. Good luck and thank you for caring enough. This country and this election are worth the effort.

I actually think we have an honest, good Leader right now, but know that those who were shocked he won a second term, and who had control of both houses, decided to just destroy him by refusing to work with him in any way; they are the ones who we need to be worried about and who need to be sent home and replaced with others who want to really represent the people and not themselves and their own agendas.

Maybe you could just begin by following Mr. Ladd. He seems to have his head on pretty straight it appears!
      I personally have known Hillary Clinton since their time in the White House and I have never believed the lies and innuendos the opposing party has hit her with for many years, which makes me know how strong she really is and one of the reasons I think she is so capable. I have followed her career closely and know the hard work she has done for children and women and I will tell you now, I have always been with her. Jump aboard, you won’t be sorry.
      And when you turn that TV off, you will be amazed how peaceful your life will become. Take walks in Nature and learn to love our Earth. You jsut might discover you would love to get on board with some of the environmental people, and become an animal advocate or decide to help overcome the GMOs which are destroying our food supplies.
      Have a wonderful life. We do indeed live in a Wonderful World!

29. Parker says:

As one who worked at the RNC as a third year law student and spent three weeks at the White House and was then sent to help on George HW Bush’s 1991 re-election campaign, eventually becoming a member of the staff, I left the republican party years ago. The reason people like you and others are leaving now is because the republican party has been outed. The only difference with the old guard republicans is that they couched the very rhetoric that Trump uses, in euphemistic terms. Now that the party has been exposed for being racist, insular, and willing to live off the government, where large corporations received massive funding then everything was honky dory. It’s just that Trump has exposed the republican party and every elected republican and every republican operative for who they are and what they stand for. I don’t think you or anyone that is leaving now is any different from Trump. If you had left 10 years ago, you may be able to claim to have human decency. Those leaving now are just afraid to be labeled because the world noticing.

Well, that’s telling it like it is. Hope you are putting your political experience to work somewhere that’ s more constructive.

• Stephanie says:

Well isn’t THAT silly to say. So, you spent time on the “inside” for your revelations, yet you stand to accuse the regular people who didn’t leave ten years ago as being the same as Trump? If they were the same as Trump would they be leaving?

• Parker says:

Stephanie, not silly at all. I suggested the RNC leadership address these issues and at every turn these suggestions were brushed off. There was no real attempt to make the RNC a big tent. That was just empty rhetoric to make them seem to be welcoming. So yes I will accuse those who are leaving now because they outwardly state Trump doesn’t represent their views, when the fact of the matter is that Trump is expressing the views that the staff of the RNC (from top to bottom) has held for years.

30. Jean-Marc Berteaux says:

Dear Mr. Ladd,

I am not a Republican, nor do I live in Illinois, nor can I even vote in this country yet, but I would be proud to have had you as my congressman. Your elegant and passionate letter to the Chairman Cuzzone led me to your blog, where you articulated both what you are passionate about in rational, factual language, while also showing a path through judicious compromise from both sides to move forward.

Thank you for restoring my faith in what politics could be, and should be. I thank you again for your courage and leadership, and will be reading your blog with interest. You are what the GOP should be, and that is a noble and rational party indeed.

Very best wishes,

Jean-Marc Berteaux

31. Excellent read. Welcome to the bright side.

32. zoebrain says:

What’s most concerning is the degree of support for Trump amongst the GOP electorate. I doubt that many in the Democrats *really* believed their own propaganda. Too many knew decent, rational Republican voters like yourself to truly believe that the GOP was the party of know-nothing theocratic racists, despite some of the troubling laws emanating from GOP dominated state houses.

Seems that to a significant degree, everyone was wrong. It’s not just a few marginalised fringe elements – the kind that every party has. It’s become, by some grotesque alchemy, the mainstream. Trump is not the problem, he’s a symptom.

A healthy Democracy – or Republic – needs two sane, rational major parties, to hold each other to account. Many like myself have held grave fears about the Democrats in this area in the past. But now we see something that cannot be ignored on the other side, something obvious, blatant, unmistakeable.

While It’s tempting to blame the DNC for being so incompetent that the GOP has been able to get away with too much insanity for too long, a charge that has merit, really it’s the GOP hierarchy who, by pandering to the fanatics, have made a phenomenon like Trump not just possible, but eventually inevitable.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

May the GOP change once more to become what it used to be. May the Democrats not descend into the darkness, because they lack a sane opposition.

As a certifiably insane Democrat, I can assure you that my party is guilty of all the criticism you levied – not so much by incompetence as laziness, IMO. I can also assure you that the Democratic Party of today is far more focused and aligned in its platform than it ever has been….Bernie Sanders die-hards not withstanding. The danger, as you noted, is that without a sane, capable competitor, the bar doesn’t have to be very high. I want our bar to be very high. I want the Democratic Party to deliver what it espouses. Even more important, there are times in history when one simply has to make political choices for the good of the country….whether you’re enthusiastic, or not.

Now is such a time. Vote. Inform. Help others vote. This election is that important.

• Cori MacNaughton says:

@1mime – Well Stated.

@Loomy – Re: “Trump is not the problem, he’s a symptom” – I completely agree.

Both parties have lost their center, and in at least some regards, any connection to their foundational principles.

As just one example, both parties have long kowtowed to Monsanto, and have assisted them in preventing any meaningful labeling of genetically engineered ingredients, not to mention that Monsanto execx have been placed in every presidential cabinet since George HW Bush, and there is no reason to believe that either Hillary or Drumpf will do any different.

For those unaware, Hillary is reported to have done work for Monsanto during her Rose Law Firm days, and she is on record as a long-time Monsanto supporter.

So neither party has any legitimate claim to be doing anything meaningful for children, or for the environment, as long as they are willingly exposing both to such a clear and present danger, absent ANY credible evidence of safety.

Meanwhile, independent testing the world over is proving that GMOs are anything but safe, that ingesting them CHANGES OUR DNA, and then of course there are the original warnings from the scientists from both Monsanto and the FDA, which were entirely ignored, and buried, prior to approving – and actively pushing – their widespread use. Schmucks.

Future generations will consider these Crimes Against Humanity, and both the Democratic and Republican parties have a LOT lot to answer for.

In closing, however, although it is likely that Hillary and Drumpf will likely have similar terrible and reprehensible policies regarding Monsanto and GMOs, the fact remains that she is sane and qualified, whereas he is anything but, on both counts.

Cori, I don’t share your broad concerns over GMO issues although there are certainly some legitimate areas of concern. As for Hillary not ever doing anything for children, are you not aware of her development of CHIP, now in its 19th year? Finally, I think you might find this snopes article on Clinton’s involvement with Walmart and Monsanto interesting.

• Cori MacNaughton says:

@1mime – As an 30-year-plus organic grower, I can tell you unequivocally that not only have we been lied to about GE technology and ingredients, on a massive scale, but there is ample evidence that they are harmful in the extreme, which is why the EU and numerous other countries, including Russia and China, have banned them.

The bottom line is that NO ONE knows what the outcome of genetic engineering will be, including the scientists creating these engineered crops/ingredients, because no one CAN know: the technology itself is based on the flawed and long-discredited notion that each gene has one function and one function only. Only the scientifically illiterate believe this any more, and yet, Monsanto and their ilk have based their entire business model on this stupefyingly bad science.

I’ve never heard from any credible source that Hillary was on Monsanto’s Board, nor did I allude to it.

What I referred to was Hillary’s advocacy for Monsanto, in her capacity as an attorney with Rose Law Firm, which is a matter of public record. I also alluded to her public statements in support of Monsanto, and genetic engineering, which she has supported since before Bill Clinton was elected president, and pretty much ever since. I have never heard her even express misgivings about it publicly, though obviously I would welcome it if she did.

I also never made any statements that she had never done anything for children, which quite obviously she has, many times, for years. I was simply stating my own opinion, that advocating for children, while supporting a company and its technology that are overtly harming them, their parents and their environment, is disingenuous and irresponsible. Quite simply, she’s smart enough and savvy enough to know better.

I suggest you read Dr. David Perlmutter’s work on GMOs and why they are so very dangerous. The Right loves to demonize him, but his fact-checking and science are sound, and well worth the read.

OK, not to split hairs here, but here’s what you said and what I responded to: ” Hillary is reported to have done work for Monsanto during her Rose Law Firm days, and she is on record as a long-time Monsanto supporter.”

Snopes stated: “The Rose Law Firm for whom Hillary Clinton worked in Arkansas from 1977 through the 1980s reportedly handled some business for Monsanto, but we found no evidence that HIllary Clinton herself was involved in such work. She has also spoken supportively of the biotech industry in general (not Monsanto specifically), as she did at the 2014 Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) conference in San Diego”.

I do agree that she is supportive of genetic modification “broadly”, as stated: “Clinton also endorsed the use of genetically modified organisms, or GMOs in agriculture to improve crops, such as by engineering them for drought resistance. She suggested the biotech industry stress these characteristics instead of focusing on the term GMOs.”

As with all science-induced change, whether it be cooking with microwaves or chlorination of water, or “hybridizing” (as our generation called genetic modification), there are downsides and upsides. I believe that it is correct (although I am hardly expert in the GMO issue), that there be more disclosure and less modification. I don’t know if it is possible or desirable to stop the application of scientific modification as the benefits outweigh the negatives…an opinion which I am certain is hotly contested.

People who feel strongly on this issue are certainly within their right to advocate for it. We organically farmed (backyard style) back before it was “chic” to do so. Our family grew up eating home grown, organic vegetables, but I will admit, that occasionally the chief gardener (not me) would use a pesticide if the bugs were getting the best of his backyard garden. Heck, he would have hit those giant stink bugs with a bat if he could have. Lady bugs were not commercially available nor were “garden whisperers”. Instead, we fought off the bugs, the raccoons, the birds, and blights that seem to test any gardener’s resolve. It was a great experience for us and our children.

• Cori MacNaughton says:

@1mime The term “GMOs,” from a scientific standpoint, should never have been adopted, which is why I generally use GE and genetically engineered.

Every plant that has ever been hybridized, whether naturally or by careful breeding by a gardener or plant biologist, has technically been genetically modified.

Genetic engineering, which is what is typically being referred to with the term “GMOs,” is the forcible insertion of foreign genes into the cells of an entirely different species, and often a completely different phylum, or class of life form. These are NOT the introductions of genes that could possibly take place in nature, and have NOTHING to do with the age-old process of hybridization as our grandparents knew it.

As just one example, Monsanto makes Aspartame by gene splicing e. Coli bacteria, which excrete the substance that ultimately becomes Aspartame. And no, I’m not making this up. Doesn’t exactly scream “Yum,” now, does it?

In fact, e. Coli is the go to bacteria with which Monsanto makes the bulk of its genetically engineered products, including rBST, it’s predecessor rBGH, RoundUp and more. Apparently they have no problem with the fact that it is one of the most potentially deadly bacteria on the planet – what could possibly go wrong?

Well, among the common side effects of contact with Monsanto’s (and other company’s) genetically engineered food additives, pesticides and crops are cancer, infertility, miscarriage, organ failure, and other serious and potentially deadly illnesses too numerous to mention.

In addition RoundUp, along with Bayer’s neonicitinoid pesticides, is heavily implicated in the ongoing disappearance of our bees, which should concern us all.

Naturally, most research in this country is industry funded, and so finds them “safe,” but independent research from all over the world is showing that to be completely false. And the FDA, frankly, hasn’t done their job decently for decades.

As to Hillary not having done work directly for Monsanto, I’ve read several reports over the years that she has, though it is certainly possible that they got their facts wrong. It does happen, we’re all human, and even Snopes has screwed up more than once over the years.

My mom gardened pretty much the way you describe, organic until there was an invasion of some pest or other, which with that generation of pesticides wasn’t a big deal. But the pesticides that have been coming onto the market in the past twenty years or so are in a whole different category, and I simply won’t use them, though I do still use organic controls.

Then again, I did think seriously about a baseball bat in combating this year’s massive invasion of Japanese beetles, and I even thought about it regarding our deer, which I usually love, after one completely stripped our peach tree. Aaaarrrggghhh.

Organic gardening is certainly not for sissies. 😉

• Steve F says:

What concerns me about your comments, sir, is that you seem educated. Why then, would you believe Trump to be such a demon based upon some rude comments (during an extremely heated and media biased campaign), when your candidate has committed nothing short of treason and organized crime, a complete betrayal of her oath of office while serving as Secretary of State. It concerns me deeply that so many seemingly educated individuals are so naive as to buy into the media’s demonization of Trump while they refuse to hold Clinton accountable for all the lies. They insist that Trump must apologize for rude comments, while refusing to make her to come clean for her criminal acts and lies to the American people. It is disgraceful that the liberals pass around their anti-American sentiment while Clinton brags that America is already great to those same people. You, sir, are the height of hipocricy! Your meaningless dribble falls sharply upon deaf ears, because people of independent thought and intelligence know you are a well-written fool with zero credibility.

• Robert Smith says:

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. When you do the name calling, you prove the point about Donald Trump. There is no open debate here, only polarization from closed minds. Oh, and a complete disregard for the truth.

Please support your charge: “(HRClinton) your candidate has committed nothing short of treason and organized crime”.

33. BH says:

This makes me sad. I am a Democrat, but until the past decade or so, I had never voted straight party…EVER! I have known many wonderful republicans with really good ideas. Being from PA, we loved our GOP Senators, Heinz and Specter. Why? They always championed working people and never portrayed union members as anything less than hard working people. What happened to that party? This really does make me sad that the good guys feel they have to leave.

34. Vasantha Anand says:

It is a wonderful letter! If more Germans had, had the guts, perhaps Hitler would not have destroyed their country in the end.
    Chris Ladd is right in that the GOP has deteriorated from its original declarations, with its now theocratic bent and denial of science.
    I applaud him for trying to keep destructive and mentally non Neuro Typical people from leading our country! No amount of greed for power will help this country in the end. It will be a final implosion, just like Germany in the Second World War!

35. onehsancare says:

I haven’t read all of the comments, but are you now looking at Gary Johnson, whose positions are much closer to those you began with? He is principled, experienced, and has a realistic chance if principled voters refuse to choose between the lesser of two evils and make a positive choice for liberty. Please consider him, and look at JohnsonWeld.com for more information.

Both he and his running mate, Bill Weld, are former two-term Republican governors from Democratic states who balanced the budgets in each of their terms. They are our only sane choice this election.

• goplifer says:

Here’s what I think about third parties:

“Attention is all they are interested in. Libertarians and Greens don’t care if their actions benefit candidates deeply opposed to their interests or yours so long as they squeeze their fifteen minutes from the process. Libertarians and Greens deserve to be loathed because they are sanctimonious political vandals, monkeying with elections for publicity, distorting the democratic process to ‘make a point.’”

Lifer, you have forgotten how to equivocate (-; The soul-searching you had to do in making your decision to resign from the Republican Party and watching so many spineless Republicans fail to denounce Trump has no doubt reduced your patience threshold. It would mine.

In addition to all that you said, these candidates are “spoilers”. I think they cost George HW Bush and Al Gore the presidency. The current maelstrom we are in should require that all thinking (and those who don’t) Americans seriously look at the consequences of a Donald Trump as POTUS. Voting third party helps Trump more than it hurts Clinton. There is simply too much at stake for our country to take any chance on seeing Trump win. And, that includes voting third party.

• Ron kester says:

I agree with you.

• Linda Coleman says:

Excellent statement, and very well-written: “sanctimonious political vandals” and “political cosplay” pretty much says it all about how they show up every four years yelling “third party” and disrupting races at the top of the ticket, doing nothing constructive to build grassroots support at any other time. I personally think we’re at a point in our country where we should have multiple political parties as they do in other countries, with a system of instant runoff voting that eliminates the “spoiler effect.” But efforts like that have to start at the grassroots level, in city council elections, school board, and other local races, branching out from there to run for seats in the state legislature and on up.

• VV says:

I’m sorry but if you think the stakes in this election are as high as Chris has outlined, the only morally defensible choice is to vote for Clinton. Trump is a menace. He must be stopped and in the most emphatic possible way.

This isn’t even really a matter of political ideology. It isn’t a matter of what you think of Clinton’s character and integrity (or lack thereof), or of her close associations with large and powerful interest groups. It is a matter of temperament and of declaring that we, as a society, have at least some minimum standard to which we hold those who lead us. It is a matter of adherence to the norms of American political discourse; it is a matter of adherence to the norms of American democracy; it is a matter of the continuation of the American experiment in republican self-governance.

If these things matter to you, you need to vote for Hillary Clinton. If you think that’s what’s at stake, a vote for Johnson constitutes a evasion of your responsibility to uphold your core values. It is a resort to comfortable political posturing in the face of a difficult, dark, but ultimately-crystal-clear, choice.

Moreover, if Clinton defeats Trump resoundingly, that could (not saying will – could!) be the seed from which a new, productive, forward-looking, Republican Party emerges. If Johnson gets 20% of the vote and Clinton squeaks in, this chance is lost. I fear more of the same in that scenario.

(I say this, by the way, as a center-left type who wishes to see a productive, forward-looking, center-right party emerge. Both because I think it would be good for the country, and because I personally would like a credible alternative to the Democrats, especially as the farther reaches of the left begin to make more noise.)

If you truly believe Clinton and Trump are equally bad, that’s another conversation. But if you do not, and if you accept that the stakes are as high as Chris has laid out, I urge you to think very carefully between now and November before taking the easy way out and voting for Johnson.

36. Karen McClellan says:

A

37. Charles says:

As a Democrat, I respect your character holding fast to your beliefs based on long term loyalty and moral basis for your beliefs. Although, I will undoubtedly disagree with some of your positions, I respect your right to hold them. I’m encouraged that your realization that working together would bear more fruit than continued infighting. When you vote this fall, I hope you will vote for candidates who are willing to work across the aisle, especially if Trump wins. We will need a strong united Congress to stand up to demagoguery.

38. This does truly amaze me. Hillary Clinton is a corporate shill and we in the progressive camp despise her because she is essentially inkind to a neoliberal George W. Bush, Mitt Romney with liberal pinko microaggressions. Now the Republicans have someone who has a brain and talent and with ambition to solve problems and if his gib isn’t cut tight enough to fit the low energy Jeb mold with tired old ideas and UTTER FUCKING NONSENSE THAT COST THIS COUNTRY TRILLIONS OF FUCKING DOLLARS AND MILLIONS OF IRAQI LIVES – the Republicans need Exlax to get a BM out! It totally escapes me how we became this retarded as a country. #NeverHillary

• Bridget says:

You don’t speak for all progressives. You don’t like Hillary, don’t like her. Vote for Jill Stein. But you could have come here and said nice things to Chris without venting your personal paranoias.

Mr. Dunn, we don’t communicate like you have on this blog. We are civil, we are substantive and we don’t attack people who hold different views. We discuss our differences and our common concerns without vulgarity or haranguing . This family of commentators is not a good fit for your style.

• goplifer says:

Satire, folks. Tranquilo

• Gina McLendon says:

Paul Dunn, You have truly drank the KoolAid. How in all that is sound and reasonable can you ignore Trump’s failures in business, his disregard for any semblance of honesty in both his personal and professional lives; and state that this traitorous, xenophobic, paranoid, delusional POS, bankrupt of all moral decency, is the answer to any of the problems still existing in our country? He IS the problem!

• Titanium Dragon says:

Hillary isn’t a corporate shill.

39. Gary Kempen says:

Well said, Chris.

I initially held hope Donald Trump might change the insular purity of the “Republican” cause to allow discussion and debate, but it seems instead to be based on fear and hate, with the ultimate ego presiding.

Having read “rise and decline of the third Reich”, Trump’s campaign is exceptionally similar to that of Adolf Hitler in 1934, as orchestrated by Herman Goebbels. Fear of a “common” enemy, based on something almost immutable (Muslims), insistence that his strong personality is the only one string enough to carry through, and very little experience in actual policy. I could go on but you’ve captured it well already.

I’m afraid – not of Muslims, Mexicans, and foreign trade that Donald would like me to be afraid of. I’m afraid of this fear mongering itself.

(Credit due to W. Churchill, & C. Ladd)

You hit it exactly, Gary. Trump as a candidate is an abomination, but the masses that have been spawned through decades of deliberate manipulation by the GOPe in combination with a DJT are horrifying. This group of people will still be voting when Trump has been (let us pray) vanquished. That mood, those thoughts, will continue, and that has to change.

• Patrick Hoffman says:

The way to fix that is to invest in education.

I emphatically agree, Patrick. That’s a subject near and dear to me. I listened to NPR today about an experiment in GA (of all places) in which a German factory owner worked with local school systems and authorities and parents to initiate a skilled labor training program beginning at age 15. He wanted to replicate the skills training program in Germany where students at age 15 are given the option to track into higher ed or a quality skills program. The students would meet core curricula requirements per the local district and state, and would work while being trained in the factory. They would be paid so that eliminated the need for kids to work after school and allowed them to use their free time to develop and pursue other interests. It bears watching but so far, it’s been a huge success.

Is this a model that the U.S. could emulate on a broader basis given the decline of industrialization? I think so, and here’s proof. Note – this is not suggested as either a substitute for higher education nor a wholesale shifting of kids into skills training. What it could do is give kids an earlier chance to explore job interests and be paid for it.

• Cori MacNaughton says:

Interestingly, if you actually read the history surrounding a lot of Hitler’s writings, it appears that Hitler wasn’t actually all that anti-Semitic himself . . . he had a Jewish maid he adored, and was, in fact, himself part Jewish (one grandparent, if memory serves) . . . but he knew that the German people were anti-Semitic in the extreme, especially the men in his S.S.

Thus his increasing attacks on “The Jews” as the source of all of Germany’s problems, were entirely cynical but struck fertile ground, as they would have in much of Northern Europe at the time, and the snowball from Hell gained speed from there.

Contrast this with Stalin, who not only killed FAR more people than Hitler even thought about, mostly his own people, but purposefully killed everyone who knew his real identity – including every member of his own family, and every person in the village in which he grew up, along with all of their relatives that he could find. And, unlike Hitler, who HAD a lot of people killed, Stalin seems to have taken immense pleasure in doing the deeds himself, by his own hands. Chilling.

By the way, Drumpf has expressed admiration for both men, as well as for Vladimir Putin, who has declared his own deep admiration for Stalin.

Which is why, being a long-avowed history buff, although I think we BADLY need alternative parties in this country, in this election I will be voting for Hillary Clinton, despite my own philosophical and political differences with her.

The stakes are quite simply too high to risk doing otherwise.

40. pwarten says:

I need to bookmark this puppy.
    signed,
    fellow ex-Republican Apostate.

Better yet, participate! You’ll enjoy the blog, its smart commentators, and the opportunity for civil discourse on a range of important issues. Try it!

41. Agnes Williams says:

Id vote for chis ladd

42. thouzel35 says:

Congratulations Courageous Chris Ladd
    Let us hope that millions who share your view of Donal Trump will get out and VOTE on November 8th!
    Thank you for posting this marvelous analysis of someone not fit to be CIC
    evie frost

43. ian says:

to Chris Ladd, sir, in real world terms you and i would be ideological enemies, in I hope a democratic sense, But I have enormous respect for what you have said and what it would take anyone to have a soul searching reevaluation of their long held beliefs. There are things i would love to critique but that is for another day.Today you should be applauded for your courage and showing what it really takes for some one to do this. thanks you

44. debrastorr says:

Thank you.
    I encountered Trump as a businessman intent on ruining a valuable dune system fir a golf course and, on the way, saw him subvert and pervert politics and media her in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
    I opposed him as a councillor then, seeing him for the narcissistic bulky his is. I left the party I’d help build in Scotland for over 30 years as a result.
    He is unfit for public office at the lowest level much less the highest.
    It’s hard to step away from a party : you’ll have people you thought were friends shun you. But those that understand won’t and I urge you to hold out your hand to them even where their conc,unions ff fee from your.
    Much love.